float fishing or bottom fishing????

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by illinoiscatfish, Aug 23, 2009.

1. illinoiscatfish

illinoiscatfish New Member

State:
    illinois
    ok i know u can catch catfish both ways but do u prefer floating ur bait or putting it on the bottom for channel cats and why do u prefer this method????????

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Kind of a two fold question. Seen times cats would not be feeding on top an then not be feeding on bottom. Each has it's own values. I usually try both ways when out if the current is in my favor.

3. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    In a lake I almost always fish with rigs that get to the bottom. I think floating rigs have more use in rivers or creeks. The reason I feel this way is, in a river or creek the water has somewhat of a fixed depth. You can slip bob, over say 8 to 12 feet of water with a lively bait. In many of the lakes I fish, the water depth changes rapidly in only a few horizontal feet of water. One could easily cast into say 12 feet of water, and the bait swim only a few feet, and be over 30 feet of water; a bait suspended 12 feet over a 30 foot bottom is not going to attract many fish.

4. kyleh

kyleh New Member

State:
    Illinois
    For me it depends on time of year, early to late spring I'll fish the bottom using cutbait, Come July and August I will float burger and back to the bottom come fall into late fall.

I deceided that I'd rather float burger over chicken liver because I've never caught a cat less than 6LBs with Burger.

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    when I drift fish looking for cats on rivers I use both techniques.... one draging the bottom, and the other rig with a slip float and bobber stop to regulate the depth... when I find fish, then I go with the method that catches them the most.
    :wink:

6. countryboy32c

countryboy32c New Member

State:
    Lansing, KS
    Kinda a combo of both in the river i usually tie a 2 ounce weight to the end of the line with a hook about 1 foot above that and then a round bobber 1 1\2 feet above that to keep my bait outta the mud. It also works well in the lakes.

7. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There is no preference there is only circumstance..I use all rigging combinations and which ever one works I use..After a while you learn what circumstances call for which rig...Float rigs work best during summer time especially in lakes due to the water stratifying for a quick example..

8. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    I like to try both ways. When one works better than the other, then I switch both my outfis to the more successful method.

If my grandsons are with me, then a good PVC ditty pole with a weighted bobber really makes them happy.

The only one I caught yesterday was on a ditty pole, bobber and shrimp in only 3 foot of water. And it was after 9:00 in the morning.

9. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I like to have my baits at as many depths as i can until i find what works best for that area . I fish some on the bottom ,some with a float a little off the bottom ,an some suspended in the water column maybe 1 near the surface

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like useing a Kat Bobber. I can set the desired depth I want, and cover more water faster.

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I usually fish the bottom 85% of the time . I sometimes use those light up bobbers up next to bushes and limbs .

12. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I like to fish over structure with the bobbers but mostly i fish both ways kinda depends on what the cats want:smile2:

13. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    i have my spots where i want to fish with bobbers but there are two things that make it aggravating. one, the daggum turtles, ill throw it in at say, 6 ft depth and will almost always have it hit by a turtle or brim. second, the wind is peticular out here so my bobber never stays where i want it. by the way, im usin livers. ive never gotten a bite on cut bait out here.

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i mostly fish the bottom but sometimes ill fish with a float to find where the fish are suspended or fish around heavy snags or some kinds of structure.but more times then not you will find my lines on the bottom.

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use both, but I pefer a float, because I like my bait suspended.

16. charlesthecarpmaster

charlesthecarpmaster New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Definitely by fishing on the bottom. You will catch catfish occasionally on a float if it's very hot, but I catch 90% of my catfish on the bottom.