Float Fishing & Circle Hooks

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bwanatony, Mar 8, 2007.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I am a big fan of circle hooks.
    I use them 100% of the time, for live bait and cut bait. I almost never miss a fish, and I have never yet gut hooked a fish on one either (knock on wood).

Now, I want to start using slip floats in some places that are just too snaggy for fishing right on the bottom. I figure the float will suspend the bait where the fish will find it without letting it into the branches & junk.

BUT... I'm thinking it would be better to use J hooks with floats, so I can set the hook right away & yank the fish out of the brush.

Are there any float users out there who want to comment?

Good fishing,
    Tony

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think i would use some large kahle hooks with a float instead of a circle due to the fact that you cant set the hook with a circle. you would have to let the fish tighten the line and load the rod by then he may already be in the thick stuff you trying to fish.

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  4. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    The hook depends on the bait. With punch bait or fresh chicken livers I use treble hooks, with cured chicken livers and cut bait I use circles or kales. It doesn't take that much force to set a sharp hook. Eather way I just let them hook themselves. When the rod loads up it is time to reel them in. The only thing that I do if they are just pecking at it, I may jerk the rod just a little. This usually causes them to strike with a vengence. If not I just leave it alone they will usually come back for some more.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have never use circle hooks on float rigs before, I will give it a try.