Float fishing and circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by MAX1955, Jan 8, 2008.

1. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I was just wondering has anybody ever used circle hooks, while float fishing.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If ya are referin to usein a slip float setup yes they work just fine.

3. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Thanks for the information Katfshn50, I was refering to slip float.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I would caution that if you were trained as I was to jerk when the float goes under,restrain yourself if using circles.:big_smile:The hardest thing in the world is to watch that float go under and keep your hands off the rod until it loads up.Good luck,in all of fishing there isnt anything better than watching a float jiggle and then disappear,or to look back and realize it isnt there any more.I learned on real cork floats about a hundred years ago and at times still go bream or crappie fishing with an old time cork just for the fun of it.Todays high tech floats are much better but there is still a charm to fishing with a cork cut from a whiskey bottle cap.Particularly if you get to drink the whiskey!!!!!!:big_smile::crazy::wink:

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Don't set the hook just reel real fast if you have to. The resistance of the cork going under the water a lot of times sets the hook for you. That is if your cork is the right size for the hook. Try it on bluegills first before you go after a hog. In fact circles are the only hook I use now for bluegills always gets them in the lips never down deep.

6. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Last summer while fishing my local pond, the first blue gill caught (4-5 inches) was hooked through the dorsel, and tossed out under a kat bobber with a 4 ought circle. I have never had so much fun catching 5-6 lb channels.

Everyone is correct in that you don't rip the lips of the cats, just reel. Great Fun!

7. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    did you hear about a feller takin hillary fishing when she was just a young bimbo.
    he baited her hook and in a few minutes she asked what the float cost.
    he said abt 10cents, she replied I owe you 10 cents, mine just sunk!