Float / Fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Float and Fish 7/8/09
    My daughter Mallory (15) and I did an overnight Kayak float /fish trip on the upper Wakarusa River last night. We hit the water around 4:00 in the afternoon after chasing bait half the day. We planned to fish for Channels during the day and Flatheads after dark and ended up with 5 very small carp (4-5 in) and 7 nice sized green sunfish to entice the Flats with and had worms, helgrimites and turkey livers to feed the channel.
    We caught 4 keepers on the way down to where we were going to camp the biggest about 5 pounds. It has been years sense I set any lines and we decided to put out 5 limb lines. We set 2 heavy lines and baited with perch and 3 lighter ones baited with liver. By the time we had the lines set it was almost dark so we set up camp on a gravel bar and ate supper. We bank fished until about 12:30 and caught a couple more nice channel. We then paddled down and checked lines, one perch was gone one was smashed and we had a tiny channel on one of the small lines and a 5 pounder on another. We rebaited and headed back to camp to clean fish and get some sleep.
    The next morning we pulled a blank on all the lines but did better in the bottom of a big riffle. We ended up with 5 more keepers and Mal caught a real nice 7 pounder. She was one happy camper and Dad got a real kick out of watching her. The only down side to the trip was that my camera screwed up and we lost all the pictures. I had a real good one that was going to be her new avatar (little tree rat) but now it looks like she is going to have to catch another big one so we can get a good picture. :wink:
    Side note: we found a dead Flathead at the head of one riffle that must have been 60 plus pounds. He was well over 50” long and his head must have been 16” across. :angry:

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Congrats to both of you on a good trip. Too bad about the camera, and the flathead ordeal really sucks. What looked to be the cause of the death? Oxygen? :big_smile::sad2::angry:

3. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    That sounds like a fun trip Alan.Mallorys going to be real intimidating to most guys.:smile2:

4. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I guess so it was in the same area that I found 3 big dead ones last year about this time.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sounds like a spot you need to fish a couple months earlyer in the year, next year :wink:

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    What a great trip..thanks for the story.

Sorry about the pictures.Guess its time to plan another trip:wink:

7. Dead Red Rick

Dead Red Rick New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sounds like a great trip it is always nice when you can spend quality time with your kids.

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Time well spent Alan. You are a lucky man to have kids that like to spend time outdoors with you.:cool2:

9. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    ALLEN in MALLORY'S POST SHE TALKS ABOUT HER FISH ;BUT SHE ALSO ADMITTES U OUT FISHED HER ,NOW THAT IS A VERY SPECIAL YOUNG LADY TO ADMITT A PARENT OUT DID HER :wink::smile2:

10. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Alan, I always enjoy your posts about your fishing trips. your kids are lucky to have a dad that wants to share his passion for the outdoors with them. I hope I have that same drive when my daughter gets old enough.