Float colors?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by DH84, Jan 25, 2008.

1. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    may be getting a bit over technical here but i had thought about experimenting with different color floats in front of my hook for my drift rigs.. just to see if i could tell a difference, with the float being 8-10" in front of the hook i know the fish can see it, i was gonna paint them black so they wouldnt affect it but maybe they like the colors...? anyone tried?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Never tried but have used several different colors and the color doesn't seem to make any difference. Let us knoe what you find out.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I've used pin floats on my leaders for a long time. Red,yella,orange and green. Never was the bite effected and I put em 4 inches back from the hook on a carolina rig.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks for that info George. I've been putting them 8-12" back. I'll try 4" next time. Thanks!

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I don't think the colors will make a difference.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The only color I won't use is white. Running a white one in shallow water 4 to 5 inches from my hook sometimes the cat gets confused and will hit the cork. They smell the bait but will see that flash of white. It's caused me to fowl hook fish and they will demolish the cork. Haven't had this problem with any other color. If you fish 10 ft. plus water all the time then white shouldn't matter either.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i use the regular 4 inch styrofoam cigar shaped floats in red and white.dont seem to hurt.

8. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i have used yellow, red, and green didnt seem to make any difference . only been drifting in a lake with the slinker sinker dragging bottom with a 3 ft leader using the cork for 3 or4 years so im still new to it . but man ooo man is it fun:wink: nothing more excitting then having 3 rods go down at allmost same time wooo hoooo.

9. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've never thought much about the color.
    never tried it in fresh water,
    but I think I will give a try.
    thank you all for the insight.:cool2:

10. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I no a catfisherman that catches a lot of big fish and he will only use the yellow 2 1/2 on his leaders and I have on white with orange stripe fishing on same boat with same bait same leader length and test lb but different hooks and rods and he wears me out . That color thing has me wondering to.:smile2:

11. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I could be wrong, but I seem to remember fish only seeing light, dark, and shades--no color as we know it. Their eyes are too primitive.

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

Sight

With their beady little eyes, it would seem catfish have poor eyesight. This is untrue. All catfish have excellent vision. They frequently feed on live fish and use eyesight to capture this fleet prey. In clear waters, sight is probably the primary sense used to zero in on live forage animals.
    When you see a deer or raccoon in your headlights at night, Their eyes glow from the relection of light on a thin layer of crystals at the back of the eye, called the tapetum lucidum. This structure reflects gathered light back at the retina, greatly aiding night vision. Walleyes are probably the fish known for having a tapetum. Catfish also have it but to a lesser degree.
    Scientist say rods and cones are present in roughly equal numbers in a catfish’s eye.Rods allow vision in dim light, and cones offer color vision in daylight.

13. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I am wondering if it would be better to camoflage my line and rig more. I'm going to try moss green line on one of my reels instead of yellow or solar green and I'm also going to a dull bead and swivel. I've tried using floats on my leader, but seemed to get fewer hits than the ones just on the bottom. I'm thinking of using a natural cork float next time, because something about the flouresent colors that most floats are sold in just doesn't seem like it would be something a catfish would encounter under water. I realize that many of you have a great deal more experience than I do, but I'm going to try a more natural look this season. If it doesn't make a difference, I'll be asking where to buy some hot pink krylon.