Float and Fish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by arkrivercatman, May 5, 2009.

1. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    :0a17::0a36:
    I am wanting to see if there would be any interest in floating the Arkansas River down here sometime this summer, fishin and campin on the sandbars.
    Get together some small jon boats, canoes/kayaks and float on down the river.lol
    I think it would be a blast. I doubt it would be for everyone but Im sure there are some out there who would want to.:smile2:
    I have a couple of stretches in mind, depending on what we need and how far we would want to go.
    It is a shallow river, but if we could time it right we could probably have a smooth float.
    Ideally, Id like to head out sometime Friday mid-day or early evening, float down a few miles and then set up camp before dark. Fish.
    Saturday make breakfast and then head out again.
    Stop before dark and eat again. Fish again.:cool2::smile2:
    Sunday mornin float to the takeout and head home.

I know there would be more to plan, but thats the jist of it.

What do you all think?:0a36:

2. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I am intrigued, sir. Entry point above Wichita, like above the fish
    advisory spots? Hard to have one of those sandbar fishfries when
    the fish is polluted. Yeah, in organizing something, the devil is in
    the details...

3. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Id prefer it not to be too organized.:embarassed:
    No, I was thinkin below Wichita Michael. No need to worry about eatin the fish, we could bring some from Tom's freezer.:wink::smile2:
    After dark we'll go after the big fish.:cool2:
    Fish or no fish, I think it would be a blast.
    With minimal organization, of course.:smile2:

4. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    You know I'm in:cool2:. Might be better to have one spot we camp every night and one day we float down to that spot and the next day we float below that spot. but that way if someone cant be their the whole weekend they can come for part. I'll help with whatever you need for this.

5. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I see your point, but most of its out in the boonies and far from access.
    I do have a back up plans though if things need changed.
    At this point I am just wondering who would be interested.
    Once thats established better plans and arrangements can be made.

6. nOct3rn4l

nOct3rn4l Member

State:
    Kansas
    Count Me in!! I love float trips. This will be awesome, I cant wait. :big_smile:

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I wouldn't mind camping in the center of town. There's saftey in numbers. If we camp in different spots we have to carry all our camping gear with us and I would hate for michael to sink his little dingy, and have to sleep in a wet sleeping bag.:smile2:

8. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thats a great Idea there. Hope it works out for you.

9. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Not in town. Done that alot last year.
    Im tryin to get out in the wild this time.:smile2:
    There are some BIG sandbars that could fit quite a few of us. Probably have to just use 2 rods apiece though.:wink::smile2:
    I was thinkin maybe some cheap rafts to help float the gear and beer.

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That sounds like fun and im allways free as you know weekdays and weekends, but you also know my license problem. Im screwed till July 9th. I got got a coleman crawdad boat perfect for the trip. I jus gotta get down there somehoe. Let me think. Maybe my wife could drop me off. We will jus see how it goes from here. I need to make some new friends and have some fun. Ive been cooped up for a year and a half know. Hope it works out. Where are you wanting to start?

11. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I got the perfect canoe for the gear n' beer.

12. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Ive got a few ideas on where to start and end but I want to see how many are interested first.
    I want to see how much of an adventure everyone wants to go on.:smile2:
    Timing would depend on everyone's schedules and the river levels/weather.

13. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I'd like to hear what u come up with bud, and if it helps, we can
    run cars dwn to my place if that works for you, that way they have a way home. or even camp there. as we both know, its beter fishing the closer to Kaw you get.

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Thanks Casey, that was gonna be my first question, but I had more in mind a "BEER BARGE":smile2:

Kyle, sounds like a lot of fun though, my son and I did that on the Republican from Nebraska to Wakefield years ago. Little to much for me now though. Sure hope it goes, it's a great time.:wink:

15. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    My bad back, and sand bars don't work well together, so I'll probably sit out the float trip. I do however have a 17' Coleman canoe someone is welcome to use, and I could probably shuttle people back to the start site. Depending on where you stop at, maybe myself, and some others could camp there, and wait on ya.

16. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    that was going to be my question, shuttle service. My jon would hold some gear for people, i'm not in yet but it sounds good.

17. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Right now Im just wondering who would be interested.
    Once I find out who will go and who needs/has somethin to float I can narrow it down and start with the specifics.
    I do want everyone to know that this will be very primitive. No restroom facilities or anything like that.
    I have a huntin blind that we can set up though.:smile2:

18. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've been wanting to do that for quite some time. I got a yak and a little 10 foot jon that I'd let someone borrow if they needed to. Yall can count me in, just let me know when and where.

19. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    So Kyle what you are saying is, that this trip will be so easy that a cave man can do it???:smile2::smile2:

I'm game I dont have a small boat but I think I can get one.

If Ray camps at the take out spot and fires up breakfast it will be a fast trip.I will row my A!! off trying to get there.....:smile2::smile2::smile2:

20. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    It'll be that easy.:wink::smile2:
    Sounds like we can get enough boats together without a problem.
    I have a 14'er and a beat up 10'er jon.
    I also have an idea for a late Fri. trip with a short float to the camp and then a longer float to the next one. Then a short float to the takeout.
    Depends on what everyone wants to do, and how many miles everyone wants to tackle.:tounge_out::smile2:
    Load up some grub, beverages, rod holders and glowsticks and light the sandbar up.:cool2::smile2: