Flipping boat, trailer and gear

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by gocards, Feb 25, 2008.

1. gocards

gocards New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Anyone ever flip the entire boat, trailor, battery, rods, bait...well everying over.
    I did one time and will never do it again. I passed up my turn to the lake and thought I found a nice place to make an easy turn around. But my turn around did not go so well. I sat there for about 10 minutes while cars and truck flew by but I could not see them until they were on top of me. Finally I got enough courage to pull out and I guess I was a little too ready and flipped the whole rig over. Drug her out by the chains and was able to flip her back over. If she was not aluminum I would have been is real trouble but she still floated. I still fished that day in her...LOL!

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have had a lot of fishing bloopers but not a complete rig turn over. Glad everything turned out ok.

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I never heard of that one. All I can say is bummer.
    Glad you could still fish.
    I know if that happened to me I would probably cry.

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    what kind of boat - conditions.....clue me in?That thought terrigies me....?

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ouch!
    Never seen that but Up near Detroit on 75, I saw a fiberglass boat come off a trailer at 70+.

Not good. Boat went "poof", outboard went cartwheeling down the Highway.

6. gocards

gocards New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It was just a 12 foot jon on a lighweight trailer. If it was my 17 ft G3 it would not have turned over. The boat maybe weighs 100 pounds and the trailer could'nt be much more than that. So after the fact I see that it would be possible to turn it on it side.

It actually popped off the ball and bent the frame on the trailer. If I had it to do all over again I would have took it off the ball and turned it around by foot. Actually I think I would have drove further until I found a better turn around. But this was an old windy country road that I had never been on before. I had no idea how far I would have drove to find a better spot to turn around.

My best friend still bring this up from time to time and he had many good laughs about it. I had never done anything like this before. But I guess the lesson is bad things can happen at anytime and learn not to make the same mistake twice.

I still use that little boat but I went back to packing it in the bed of the truck most of the time. It is only good for smaller waters anyway. It is a little more work getting it in and out of the water but it takes a few problems out of the picture compared to trailering a light boat. If I am fishing bigger water I take the G3.

7. Catfishrob

Catfishrob New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Background: Had a redneck coworker whose jack on his fancy bass boat was too short to lift on to his truck. So he had a brain storm. Rather than buy a longer jack or drop hitch , he'd move the boat back on the tailer to take the weight off of the tongue. He moved so far the tongue weight was about 2 lbs. The boat woud balance with the jack up. He'd just push down on the tongue to hitch to get it on the ball. Worked ok for a few trips.

Now him and a buddy are doing 70 heading to Calavaras Lake.
    They are busy shootin the breeze when he sees his boat in the side view mirror in the left lane, he panics and pulls in front of it and keeps putting on his brakes. Yup he stopped it but the tongue got bent and put holes in the bumper and tailgate.
    Would have loved to see the faces on the other drivers. Told us the story at worked and we thought he was a %$^&^*.

Always make sure your tongue weight is 10% of the load weight when pulling a trailer. Thats what helps keep it on.....:crazy:

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I saw one going home one day in Poth that passed up the tow vehicle!!!!!!

9. gocards

gocards New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I assume neither of them had safety chains? I have to say that although that tore me up pretty good I would have crapped my pants if I lost one on the highway. I don't know if I would ever be able to pull a boat again. Turning one over backing out to turn around does not sound as bad as having one pass you on the interstate....LOL!