Flint River info

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by r ward, Oct 28, 2008.

1. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Who is fishing the Flint and where do you fish it at I am thinking about triing it soon

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Richard, good luck up there and let us know how it goes

4. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Thanks Paul very helpful artical

5. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    If I get to go I will let you all know about the trip

6. JeremyS

JeremyS New Member

State:
    Georgia
    i have just recently discovered the Flint river. i have been going a good bit and caught some respectable catfish. I use the boat ramp off of hwy 96 in peach county. I have been going just about every saturday morning, so if you see an old red F-150 sitting down there, thats me

7. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    First welcome to the BOC let me know how you do and check out the gathering thread come join us in April

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    nice link rick

9. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    i use to fish a hole above 96 hwy at the the rail road sit in the middle of the river at the RR and fish down stream . use to catch some nice flathead at daylight for a few hours......

10. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'm just getting back into fishing. Recently a friend and I headed down to the Flint River between Reynolds and Fort Valley Georgia. We pulled off the road and set up underneath the bridge that under the four lane. My friend pulled out about a two pound carp after we was there for an hour or so. We had been fishing with cut bait (store bought fish) and homemade dough bait that had some liver mixed in it. I wasn't getting any hits and we were pretty settled in our spot, so I fished for a small brim, which I caught.

I put the small brim on my line with a circle hook. I fish with pretty light tackle that had something like six pound test line on it. This particular rod and reel was a gift from my father so I am quite fond of it. I had set the drag real light on the reel to simulate a clicker on a bait reel and we settle down. This was a week day and I knew that I had to work the following morning and it had gotten dark. Being as I'm just getting back into fishing, I'm still in the process of getting my act together on this adventure. One thing I was lacking was adequate lighting. I had one flashlight and it was turned off sitting on the ground. Since it was getting late and I told my friend let's start packing up. I left my rod in the water as I started putting the bait and other items into an organized pile for the haul back to the car.

I walked back to where the reel had been located and lo and behold... it was gone. But then I hear the sound of the drag from the reel somewhere before me and I reached down to find the light but had somehow kicked the dang thing. I thought to myself, oh no, my father's gift is going to be pulled into the Flint river, so I dived forward and caught the end of the rod, just before it plunged into the dark waters.

I feel the line and realize I have a fish and she was nice one, big, but not too big for my light tackle. I'm yelling at my friend to find the light and get the net. He is stumbling around with a cigarette lighter searching the ground and I'm fighting the fish. I'm guessing about 2 foot long. I get the fish to the bank and she is really a beauty and I can't wait to get her in so I can take her home and show off to the rest of the family. My friend is having no luck finding the light or the net so using the light of the moon , I make the mistake of trying to pull this wonder fish (flathead I believe from the short glance I had) out of the water. I mean I was trying to just pull slowing so I could get a look see, but at that moment Mobby Dick the flat head catfish freed itself off the line and I just sat there with my mouth wide open and nothing to show for my labors... Well except for a good fish story!​

11. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well I went to the Flint river today and did not have any luck. Of course my timing was not great as I did not get there until 10:30 am and left around 1pm. I walked north of the bridge and up to first big sandbar it's not bad walking, after that it gets pretty thick. Saw another fellow that says he was out all night and did not catch anything. I don't know what bait or how much was sleeping ans how much was fishing.

When the sun came out it was at least nice weather. I was fishing with some store bought catfish used as cut bait.

Pat

12. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    pat at the parking area there is a trail off to the left. do you know if it goes back to the water or if it is private property. my wife and i were at the river sat looking around and the trail was pretty muddy. there was a place right under the bridge you could get right to the water it looked like it might be pretty good.

13. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've fished under the bridge and we pulled in one carp and one cat (Flat I think as it got away as I was trying to land it: caught with a small live bream on a circle hook).

The trail / road to the left I think is private property as I have seen what looked like some hunters driving down that road.

If you walk under the bridge and you keep going a bit, cross country, but not too bad until you get to a sand bar that looks nice to sleep on for night fishing. Right across from sand bard the river turns and there looks like a hole against the high bank. The trouble is that the current is pretty swift and with the weight I was using it was getting pulled down stream pretty quick. That was a bummer because there are some down trees just a bit down stream. I guess I need some lead with some heft.

But after going cross country though the brush... I boat sure would have been nice.

14. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    we went as far the down trees past the bridge. alot of the area looks pretty good. keep us informed on how do on the flint

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    When I went to Fort Valley State University I had no idea about the fishing zones around there or else I would have fished it. I still make way back that way to the Macon area yearly so I would love to have a flathead zone or so to hit up even if its the Savanna and Atlanta area.

16. JeremyS

JeremyS New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I was at the flint river saturday afternoon. i caught one channel cat before the boat motor decided to blow the calon off due to a stripped out spark plug. the trail to the left in the parking lot is not private property. it leads to right down to a sand bar on a bend in the river. If you cast across the river right there it is deep and a good cat spot.

17. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    i will have to go and check it out

18. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Welcome to the club Jeremy. Here are some reps to get you started.

19. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Oh well, looks like the reps are not working. Maybe they will show up later.

20. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia

When you say to the left, which left do you mean... North or south