Flint River, Hwy 127 Bridge near Marshalville

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by goshawk, Dec 27, 2009.

1. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I got bored yesterday and road out to the Hwy 127 Bridge (on the Flint) near Marshalville. I finnally figured out you can get access to the river by crossing east over the bridge and taking the old ferry road down to the river.

A old bull dogged barked for a while but then settled down as there is a house right at the end of the road. I did not see any posted signs and a couple of hunters came in as they were using a boat to get to where ever they were hunting.

Not sure what the fishing is like here, but it is somewhat close to my house so I figured it was worth checking out. I'll add to my every growing list of places to fish.

Anyone else have experience fishing this spot?

Pat

2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    pat,if i'm not mistaken thats the same place you come to goin' out 96 from butler,towards reynolds,turn right on john b. gordon rd.Go down to and old dirt road,take a left,and it ends at the river.directly across from where you were,no house on this side.
    i'm pretty sure its the same place,thats,in my oppinion,the BEST fishing ANYWHERE on the flint.hard fishin though,go down river about 5 miles before you find much water over 2 ft. deep. any hole over 8 ft. deep or so has fish.go down probably 12 to 14 miles theres a 32 ft. hole of water,killer,thats as far as you can go in a boat,in you yak you can keep goin.in a boatyou'll be in the sand most all the way down an up,but with patience it WILL pay off.

3. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Yea, I don't mind going down stream 12 to 14 miles, but I sure don't want to paddle back. Seems like 12 to 14 miles would take you near Montezuma... wait just looked at a map... it's a good streach between 127 and Montezuma.

Oh I just found a map of that area:

http://www.gypsyfarm.com/flint/Montezuma_Bluff_Color.pdf

with some descriptions
    http://www.gypsyfarm.com/flint/Montezuma_Bluff_text.pdf

(I've got more maps like this for the flint starting above Spewell to around Montezuma.)

Thus it looks like it might be closer getting to that deep hole by going upstream from Montezuma?

Generally I don't like going up stream more than 3 or 4 miles, downstream is another story.

Sounds like a trip where I have the wife drop me off and pick me up in Montezuma. Could be a nice overnight trip.

Pat

4. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    watch for the gators,one crawled right up on the sand bar with us last year.:eek:oooh:

5. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    And you all didn't have gator tail for dinner:smile2:

6. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    he was'nt but about 8 to 10 inches,but his mama was about 11 ft. she stayed out about 10 yds.
    i went to google to get you an exact milage but its up so high nothing looks the same,theres a big rock wall,and shoals right at the big hole.it looks to be between 6 to 8 miles,though.

7. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've always been under the impression that the gators in the Flint were not very aggresive. Has anyone actually been attacked by a gator on the flint?

Of course I am a firm believer in a giving them a LOT of respect :roll_eyes:

Any safety tips I should be aware of as I sleep at night on the sand bars of the Flint river?

Pat

8. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    if you use cut bait ..throw those scraps in garbage bag once you get back to a ramp.... gators will pick up scraps thrown in the water and asociate those scraps with fisherman and then you will have a problem with them getting close to your boat... and as always dont fall asleep with your feet dangaling in the water..lol

9. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    good advice eric.other than that,just don't taunt them.gators are'nt real aggresive towards people unless they've been fed.i've fished with in ten feet of gators on the altamaha several times,no problems.it helps pass the time if the fish ain't biting.i would'nt worry much about them though,just common sense.