Flies have invaded my house, how do I get rid of them?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TDawgNOk, Aug 4, 2006.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Every summer we have to deal with flies. They come in the house when anyone opens a door. Normally, its only 1 or 2 flies. This week we have killed over 100+ flies. My wife has been spraying a really obnoxious flying insect spray on them to kill them. This however is a problem for me since I have Asthma.

Does anyone know any really good ways to get rid of flies???

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Go to your local feed and ranch store and get some glue sticks. This is not the name it's just the best description i can figure out. Basically their a lil smaller than the cardboard roll inside the paper towels. They have caps on both ends and are covered in sticky, STICKY glue. They usually have a hook on top to hang them with. I put 2 of these, one on each side of our back door going to the back yard. It won't stop all the flies but you'll be suprised what it will catch after a week or so. I only have to put them up for a short time during the summer and their easy to get rid of. A small eye sore but for us it's worth it. I bought a box of 4 for around $10. They make em in strips and everything else but these round ones are small and easy to use. Hope this helps.....

3. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Well, you could do what my brother did once. Notice I said ONCE.
    He put up fly strips in his cabin. WELL, he forgot to tell his wife and she got her hair stuck in them. She had to yell for him to help her out. You could try the fly strips, but PLEASE tell your wife about them.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Take a big crap in the corner of a room. When they all bunch up ya can get em all at once! LOL!

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    We've tried the fly strips, to no avail.
    I KNOW that I've seen at least 50 on the celing of our living room at any one time.

6. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Hang a zapper in there.

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Tony, the county fair is right behind my car lot and every fall we get literally thousands of them from the piles of manure. I went to the same place I get my roach stuff for my rentals. The product I use is called Max Force Granular Fly bait. I have several traps that I got from the same site that I use it with. These are strictly outdoor things, but they will draw the flies away from the house and I am sure the site has indoor stuff too.

go to www.critterridders.com

Hope this helps.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Tony have you tried taking a shower :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I was wondering how long before someone said that lol.

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Tdawg!!!!I have two words for you!!!!

FLY SWATTER !!!!

11. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    get a 20 oz bottle or 2 liter fill it 1/2 water put some sugar in it and yellow food coloring they will all fly in an drown

12. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You can always try hiding the bodies further away from your house! :lol:

13. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i think everybodys gotum bad this year. might be some new form of terrorism:sad2:

14. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Or another method is unzip your fly and when they all gather just pay your neighbors a visit...:lol:

15. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    This would work much better if you add a little bit of soap. Once the flying insect's (flies, wasps, bees, etc...) wings get soap on them they aren't able to fly, for some reason & they drown . I have used this while camping & it works pretty well. Tho I think you will need more than 1 trap!
    Good Luck
    Lisa

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Tony set you a small bowel of sugar water out some where and they will drown themselves in it trying to eat it all. I have done this for years.

Take you a plastic jar and drill holes in the lid big enough for a fly to get thru and put same in it and set it out side and it will attract them and they won't and can't come out of it.
    Ni toxiants and safe for your condition.

17. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Set off a couple of bombs for flies. Take a day away & STOP CLEANING YOUR FISH IN THE LIVING ROOM. :big_smile:

18. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Spray the outside of your home and lawn with permethrin. Great stuff. Flies are bad this year and you will have to use it often, but it works.

19. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Walmart sells a line of fly traps that come with a plastic bag that you fill with water. The flies go into a yellow cap and cant get out. I had em really bad last year in my back yard. I got one of those traps and hung it outside and it did the trick. The only thing is that you have to throw it away after a few days or it will start to stink from all the dead flies.

20. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Dont open the door. Sorry, i dont have a clue. I clean my fish at my neighbors house.:lol: