Flexible weights

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by jim, Jul 5, 2006.

1. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    OK I am throwing myself on the mercy of my BOC brothers.After years of intensive scientific reseach I have decided that the best weight for drift fishing is the flexible weight,you know the kind that has lead shot inside the parachute cord cover.I have used every other kind including the Lindy version and in my mind the flexible is the way to go for me.PROBLEM is finding them.BASSPRO used to sell the perfect 1oz kind but now doesn't carry them any more.I know several members make them like Blackwaterkatz,Roundhill etc.I would be willing to pay for all the materials and for the weights if somebody is willing to make them or better yet perhaps some of you know where to get them.I need 1oz and 1-1/4oz versions.Again I will pay for it all if someone is making them.:smile2:

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Jim cant you do the same thing with some line and split shot on it? That way you can make it yourself and adjust the weight accordingly

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Around here I have seen what are called pencil weights. They are about 3 inches long and 1/8 to 3/16's diam. They are very flexable! I think they go to 1 1/4 oz. I may have some in my tackle, I'll check!

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have never heard of these, will have to do some research.

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Click here to see a few ideas that Rat posted on the old board Jim. Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but thought it worth mentioning.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Years ago I bought a roll of 1/8 inch diameter lead wire at a flea market.It runs 18 inches to the ounce.It is very flexible.It wraps and bends easily.It was commonly used in the 50's for fishing.It was also for industrial use as a inert gasket material.Just a idea.Don;t know if it would work or where you could now find it.peewee-williams

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

don't pay foe someonr to make these for you its easy to do. Get parachute cord any color and remove the inside stuff 3-4 inch pieces should work depending on what you use for weight. seal one end my applying heat and folding over are folding and melting. through the open end add weight I use bb's are split shot depending on the weight I am tring to get. when you have the weight you want fold and melt to seal then add a snap swivel. hook the snap into the cord and use the other end to carolina rig. The process is easy it just takes a little time to figure out what you need. They are not pretty but they work well.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Thanks everyone,Bryan those are pretty cool in the tubing,Benji those are exactly what I'm talking about and I know how.The problem is I just don't have the time.I wish someone would make them and sell them.I could really kick my own hind end for not buying a lifetime supply from Basspro Shop when they carried them.:angry:

9. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  10. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Jeff, I like the looks of this stuff. +rep at ya

ST

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jim, I'd be happy to make them for you. I make mine while I'm watching tv or something sometimes. Let me do some checking and see what it takes to get the material shipped to me. I have a little left, but I'm not sure how much. I'll get back to you within a few days.

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Sorry for the double post. Ignore

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jim, I've got some material here, and ordered some more, might be a few days 'til arrival. Just pm or let me know what weight/length(s) you want and we'll get some made before you come back this way. Not a problem.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Thanks Tommy I didn't want to impose on those that I know make them because it does take a lot of time and effort.I was hoping someone knew a source of ready made ones.The ones from Basspro use 00 buck I believe so they can be made shorter.Next time we are together lets see what we can come up with.What kind of cord do you use?I might be able to find some around here.Certainly I would pay for all the materials.Doug ought to make them and sell them as a way to make a little money.The guy at Hills said he didn't think his source was going to make them any more.:smile2:

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jim, I'll pm you. I use the same materials that Ron showed you, in fact he's the one that got some for me. I've found another source, though, and ordered from them last night. I don't want to id them until I get the materials and make sure they are the same quality. I've been using 1/4" material and #4 lead shot (.240"). There is some 3/8" material available, but I haven't found a reliable source for it yet, still looking.

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I think Cabelas carries them up to 1 ounce

17. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jim, I received the materials on Monday, so I should have some weights ready when you come back down. Odd; I fished yesterday, and the only rig that caught anything was out standard slinky drift rig, with a whole fresh herring threaded onto the 6/0 kahle hook. Nothing else caught a fish. After I converted all the rigs over, I caught fish on every rod. Float was 8" ahead of hook, ~3' leader.

18. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Drifting ,that is the only way I rig the herring, once in thru the head,in again in front of the dorsal fin then in again in the tail area.Don Drose showed me that years ago and it seems to work well.Kevin of course just hooks them thru the lips but they come off way to easy that way for me.:smile2: :big_smile:

19. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Amen, Jim. I had a couple rods with an egg sinker, short leader, fished straight down, from 1-4' above bottom, but they didn't produce anything at all, even with the slow drift. Also had a couple of float rigs, different depths. Every fish I hooked seemed to be holding tight to structure.

20. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Jim,

I would gladly make you some and send them to you. PM me the weights you want and an address.