Fletchings...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by massa_jorge, Sep 28, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have my bow dialed in right, and have been experimenting with different types of fletchings. i tried the el cheapo allen 5" vanes and they actually improved my shooting, and were more durable than the vanes that came on the arrows when i bought them. after a few hours of shooting, the vanes that came on the arrows were crinkled and deformed, making the arrow fly well, not so straight. just got back from academy with a pack of blazer 2" vanes. have not put them on yet, i was wondering if anyone on here has tried them, and wanted to see if i could get pros and cons on their experiences with them. if it matters, i am shooting carbon wolverine 60-70 arrows with 125 grain field points on them. my hunting points are the muzzy 3 blade, also in 125 grain. i am new to all this so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

2. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    five inch vanes are more stable in flight but they slow your arrow down.two inch vanes are very fast but have little stabilizing ability especially with your 125 grain muzzys,they may be a tuning nightmare.two inch fletchings are really designed for small field points and competition.i would stick with the bigger fletchings maybe 4 inch instead of 5,but choose a high quality brand that wont deform when shot.if you fletchings are deformed you should make sure they are not making contact with the rest.

3. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I just had the 2" blazers put on a couple nights ago. Shot them quite a bit at the shop and am happy w/the results.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Guess i'm from the old school but still shoot 5" feathers behind a 100 gr. 2 blade magnus head. I align the blades up and down with the cock feather and as long as i get adaquate vane clearance off the rest don't have any complaints. I choose the carbon head above stainless for the fact that i can sharpen them.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Ive been using feathers but my biscuit eats them when I shoot alot so I'm making the switch to blazers after the season is over or when I fill my tags which ever comes first.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    If your fletchings are crinkled and deformed after shooting I would check your rest for clearance. Unless your passing thru your target to tear them up. With the carbon arrows 5's may be a little long. 2's are more suited for nibs/ field points and speed. 3-5's is what I'd try with the 125 gr. brodheads and paper em to see what works the best for you.

7. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I switched from 4 in vanes to 4 in feathers last year. The feathers increased my arrow velocity and noise level. If a piece of the feather comes off they whistle. I am going to switch back to vanes next year. What type of arrow rest are you using? I.e. flipper, whisker biscuit, shoot through or drop away.

8. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I have been shooting feathers every since i started bow hunting and i just cant change. I just dont like to change anything that is working for me. They are louder than the vanes but more forgiving when you brush up against brush. Like everyone is saying you must be having contact issues with your rest. That has been the problem when my friends bow when he wrinkled the vanes

9. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    alot of great advice hear,feathers are more forgiving they will colapse on contact with the rest making them more forgiving.they dont do well when they get wet,they make sprays to coat them with to keep them dry.to set my knocks correctly i put the arrow on the string,grab the shaft and turn it until cock feather is where it needs to be.big arrows and big broadheads need bigger fletchings troy was right on 3-5 inches perfect.

10. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    There are a million things to take into consideration, if you are shooting a bisuct and you practice alot then no matter what type of flecting you shot that rest will "eat" fletcings. If you are shooting a stationary or drop away then i agree with everyone else, that you have a interferance problem.

When im hunting i shot a 4" vein and in 3-D tournies i shot 2" blazers.

Im not down grading the biscuit, but i think it is stricly a hunting rest not a practice rest.

Everything depends on how much you practice.

11. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Put the blazers on you won't regret it. if you are shooting the whisker biscuit especially. I shoot Muzzy broad heads on carbon arrows with 2" blazers. They fly perfectly and the fletchings won't tear up. Make sure to use only bohning fletch tite when putting them on. make sure you spin test the arrows with your broadheads on, they should spin like a top with no wobble. Blazers are designed for broad head use as well as field points.I have been shooting blazer with broad heads for three years with EXCELLENT!!!!!!! results. If you are using the whisker biscuit use only bohning fletchings. Blazers are a bohning product. They are very tuff and fly true. If you cant get the heads to fly right after tuning your arrows get your bow paper tuned at a reliable shop.

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    wow thanks for the feedback yall. i had to 4 days and just got in from hunting.
    i am shooting a rest with two plastic coated prongs on it. i think the bottom vane might me touching the actual rest, but it hasn't affected accuracy with the blazers. they shot great with the field points and the broadheads. is 125 grains considered heavy? last year i shot 100 grain muzzy 4 blade heads, and they were very impressive, the label says 'bone crushing tips' and they really did crush bone and keep on truckin. that's why i shoot them now, and will from now on. when i find something that works this good, i don't experiment anymore.
    all the archery products i have are from bohning pretty much. i use the fletch tite platinum because the regular fletch tite said it would not work for carbon arrows.
    i will raise the rest and see what happens. i reall appreciate all the info yall are giving me. it is making me better at all this!