Fletching my own arrows?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by kat buster, Sep 10, 2006.

1. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Ok i was thinking about getting into fleching my own arrows. And if I really liked it maybe even going a little bit further like cutting them and putting inserts in.

I was wondering if any one has done there own fletching and what brand or stuff that works really well.

oh and I will be doing mainly carbon and a little aluminum

2. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I've fletched my own arrows for nearly 30 years! I fletch aluminum and carbon arrows. I've used nothing but a Jo Jan fletcher and Fletch Tite glue. Make sure to clean the arrows and the fletching with rubbing alcohol or the fletching will come off the first time that you shoot the arrow! Any archery shop can point you in the right direction. It's easy....you'll get the hang of it pretty quick.

3. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I have built all of my own arrows for 25 years. I use a Bitzenberger jig and Fletch tite cement. I have built aluminum and carbon arrows. Instead of rubbing alcohol I use laquer thinner to clean my shafts. I lightly sand the area on the carbon shafts with a very fine sand paper before cleaning.

4. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have never built my own arrows completely just cut them and glue inserts in
    you should look into quickspin fletchings
    i have never tried them but the look and sound sweet
    next year i want to build my own and put them on.
    http://www.newarchery.com/vanes/quickspin.asp

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use an Arizona EZ-fletch and use Fletch tite glue. The EZ-fletch puts all three vanes or feathers on at the same time. I can do a dozen arrows in about 30-40 mins.

6. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Young Brother D.J.;
    Well, I was going to make a post to help ya out but I see that "CBH", "Cathooker", and "Desperado", have already beaten me to the punch so I will simply say that there are a lot of different adhesives, insert brands, tools, ect, out there to buy.
    You have a computer, do your Research/Homework FIRST, then decide what will work best for your particular needs! That way you will spend your hard earned dollars more wisely and efficiently! :smile2:
    The only other thing I can tell you is to NOT buy cheap equipment either! That does not mean always buy the highest priced equipment available, it just means using the advice I just gave you to the maximum advantage possible! Even though your still very young, I KNOW your smart enough to follow the above advice to your best advantage!:smile2:
    One last thing; WELCOME ABOARD"!!:big_smile: I think you will find your membership in the BOC to be to your advantage in the days, months, and years ahead!
    Take Care, Let Us Know How Things Go For Ya!
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]