Fleas

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by anchorpuller, Sep 19, 2008.

1. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Hey Doc,

I'm poor and broke. I can't afford all that high dollar, fancy shmancy, name brand flea capsule topical stuff from the vets office.
    Tell me something cheap and good to use to keep from getting a flea infestation.
    I got the little 5lb yorkie and the yellow lab/mutt (about 50 pounds now)

I'm thinking there has to be some kind of treatment I can get at the local feed and seed or something!
    I heard using Dawn dishwashing soap when giving them a bath helps. Not sure if it does, but I did that.'

Thanks for any suggestions.

Your cyberpal Laura

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    You can buy pamethrian(spelling) at a cooperative buy the pint. You have to be careful as it is deadly to cats. But mixing with water I do believe it is less then an ouce per gallon spray you dogs, yard and kennels. You need to treat your house, check with your vet and see if they have something that they recomend treating you home with. I use ADAMS flea and tick spray every three to ten days on my female Dach.(weener dog) and they start jumping off as soon as you spry it on.It is pamethrian based.:0a26:

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    So, if I spread this stuff around I can get rid of both fleas and my neighborhood songbird killers?:wink:

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Ya my vet ask me if I had cats and I said no. The reply I got was cause if do you won't. If it doesn't kill them they get real sick.

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i used something called seven dust if i remember right when i lived in ok. for ticks and sand fleas

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Ya Gus I use that on my garden. But the pamethrian also rids of mosquitos and the worse thing that I have at my house next to fleas.

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you get your bi-focals lined up just right, you can kill them with an ice pick.

:smile2::wink::smile2:

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You remember that little guy from Lord of the Rings that had the obsession to acquire the Ring? He would go around mumbling "Gotta have the Ring, Gotta have the Ring."

Same with fleas, "Gotta have the blood, gotta have the blood." They will find it or die, they can't reproduce unless they have a blood meal. That is where they meet their beautiful girlfriends on the bodies of creatures they can suck blood from.

Here is the dirty little secret of fleas and why we have so much problem with them. They are like chickens, they lay eggs, by the thousands, that will lay dormant in your or your yards environment for a long time, sometimes years. Eventually they hatch into little creatures called larvae who do their thing and then turn into pupae and mature. Pupae are those things you find in the woods under bark or boards that might turn into a pretty butterfly someday. These pupae hatch into adult fleas who are only gonna live a short time. They head for blood. Can't ya just feel 'em crawling up you leg now as you set at your monitor?

If you live in the South your flea season never ends. They like it moist and cool, so if ya got shady yards and a damp basement that is where they gather to drink beer, wishing they had blood. Once you have a flea problem it is like a maxed out credit card, you got trouble. If you have squirrels that "Lil Freddie is always chasing up the tree or rabbits that your beautiful Susy can't catch or a neighbor that lets the block terrorizer lose to urinate on your bushes they got fleas that are hatching and hunting for new worlds to conquer.

Laura, there is no easy answer to your question. The products developed in the last few years are the best things you can use. They are unfortunately not cheap. The Vets and drug companies got ya by the you know what. There are about three of them. The best we have found personally from use on our pets (Nancy's pets) is Frontline. And I don't get a break on the cost.

If you peruse the internet there is a gazillion amount of material on this. One I like and I don't know if it legal for me to mention sites on here but we shall see is one by a guy nam Bill Ehlers DVM. He has a little straighforward article on fleas.

But the main thing is control 'em where they come from. Shoot the neighborhood terroist peeing on your bushes, get the 22 out and reduce the squirrel, chipmunk, rabbit, bear problems in your yard. Vaccumn frequently, stick a flea collar in the machine, they are fairly useless on pets, use larval or pupae antigonists, open up the house and don't stop treating the patient. cause those guys eggs like something from a space alien movie are just waint to hatch.

9. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    I ahd fleas so badd when my neighbor left with his cats my dog went nuts .Nothing worked !I ask on line what to use and the #1 ans was BORAX
    I got out the ferterlizer spreader and 4 boxs of borax and they move some were else.
    try it you'll like it.
    CRmule

10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes that works well CR. But ya got to be careful. Borax (Boron) is also a weed killer. Ya get to much on the grass you will kill it and it can takes years for the Borax to dissipate. Maybe it is a good way not have to mow grass.

John.

11. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    I did not konw that . until after .It was a real cost saver no ferterlizer ,didn't have to cut the grass and the grass was not tickeling my butt when I swing in the hammoak.
    Hell I apply it every year .:wink:
    bewell crmule

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Frontline appears to have lost it's punch in my neck of the woods. We switched to Advantage, and it seems to be doing better.

The fleas have been awful this year.

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    No mowing grass or fleas shoot I am all over this gotta be cheaper and better then the dang lawnmower the mutts sure aint eating grass(LOL)
    I want to patton the purdey brown yard(LOL)

14. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have to go out and treat the crew soon. Have 4 that are outside, "Started with (1) stray" :crazy:

I know! I am a softy :smile2:

PB will try that frontline you mentioned. :wink:

We got a heard of cats in and around the woods also, started with two that I can tell. Of course, we feed them... :embarassed:

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Ammonia and powdered laundry soap in a hose end sprayer helps prevent critters from taking over your house and lawn .

It's a old trick I learned in Florida from the old timers to rid mole crickets and everything else . From what I understand it doesn't actually kill them but makes them extremely uncomfortable.....as in it makes them use the bathroom in a irregularly bad way....Like drinking water in Mexico ?

If ya do this during warm months also it make your grass and bushes really green. Its cleans off the toxins and film off the vegetation allowing fertlizers enter the leaft parts easier .

Ap...I feel for ya. I had my house infested one time and I didn't even live there but they sure moved in . I don't have a method to kill them that's cheap, wish I did .

Its that time of year when the fleas, roaches , and rodents come knocking at your door. Prevention is my game these days .

Your in the position ,like I was, that your prolly gonna have to spray outside, inside , and a lot of animal baths. And then do it again every so many weeks....if you don't they WILL be back .

Oh and the Dawn dish soap thing...I might be the one that told ya. I stopped paying 20, 30, and 40 dollars a gallon for Adams soap and spray. For $2 the soap works exactly the same, and its blue too !!!!

Good luck Ap , hope ya find a cheap way, wish I was of more help.

-Jim-

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I had a friend who had dogs in the house, she used baking soda to kill the eggs, claimed it dehydrated them. Also helps clean up pet odors. I worked in a cheap fleabag hotel full of fleas, they sprinkled borax in the rooms to kill bugs.

With my dogs I sprayed my yard with malathion, and used flea powder and some kind of flea and tick soap. They didn't mind the bath, but didn't like the powder.

17. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Tractor Supply sells some flea stuff like the Vets sell... it's cheaper.. but don't know if it is as effective.

18. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    At one of my previous houses in sc next to a sandy school yard-had to fight them 12 months a year.
    Poisoned the yard twice a year-early spring and summer. I used the granual stuff from lowes or wally world. Alternated kinds every other time to keep them from getting used to it.
    i also used a flea trap that uses light and sticky paper. I think happy jack makes them. They are attracted to the light and get stuck. I tried alot of stuff in the house but this works best. I dont like flea bombs and poisons in the house.
    Good luck!

19. sat93us

sat93us New Member

State:
    Texas
    I found a good treatment is when bathing put about a half cup of pine sol in the bath water. You will see the fleas jump off. Try it. It works