Fleas

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by bodach, Jul 19, 2009.

1. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    I got laid off a couple of months ago so we ordered our frontline from ebay because it was so much cheaper but..... I believe it was fake because they both got fleas and not just a few its almost like it was an attractant then we got them in the house. Now my wife is a clean freak and she has taken this as a slap in the face to her cleaning I have tried everything bombs boric acid a whole gallon of stuff thats supposed to kill all bugs moping with bleach its like crack to them I have gotten flea dip collers powders its a loosing battle. any ideas? thank you

2. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    There is a new product "Promeris" I got from our vet, it is the newest prevention out. We have four dogs, all sizes, and it worked well for us. After 24 hours the fleas were all gone. We also spread some stuff on the ground with the fertilizer spreader to kill ticks and fleas and that seemed to help too. I cant remember the name of that stuff, but Wally World sells it.

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We got them in the house a few years back and tried everything short of burning the house down and nothing worked. Finally had to call in an exterminator, but Frontline has done the job since. Stay safe and good luck!!!

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    If you have a rug in your house that's where they'll be laying there egg's ..So get ahold of it now or good luck.

5. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    The bad thing about fleas is that evey two weeks or so ya have a new I have never seen any products at walmart actually work nor the ones on ebay. i had to live and learn as ya are now. Treat your dogs with good frontline....#1 treat your yard with bug killer example on monday then again in 7 days and pray no rain. If it doesn't rain in that length of time then treat once more to be safe. Now for the carpet. They have carpet sprinkle stuff in the pet dept at a good walmart and you sprinkle it on and vacucum it up. Do this again three times within a 21 day period.
    Now remember normally if it is cheaper it doesn't work as well frontine to us with several is the only way to go because I hate bugs as your wife does.........good luck

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here's the deal. like has been mentioned get the good front line and get the dogs in the house. Now, don't bother getting sprays or powders you will just waste your money. This works very well and it'll only take a few days to get things back under control. Place a pan of water on the floor with some dish soap in it and stir it around(don't make bubbles) Hang a light bulb a couple of feet over it. You can set a tall table lamp on the floor and surround it with pans too. The adult flea will jump for the heat of the light then fall in the water and drown. The soap breaks the surface tension so they sink, remember that they can jump off of bubbles. Leave the lights on all day and night. You will soon have hundred's of dead fleas. In a day the front line kicks in and kills the fleas attracted to the dogs. Then the new fleas that hatch get on the dogs and taste death. Once the front line is working good you wont find any fleas in the water. I had similar problems till the exterminator told me about this method when he was to busy to come out! It Works like a charm...... :wink:

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have 4 dogs, and had a flea and tick problem for a couple of months. i now use k-9 advantix on the dogs and demon wp as a spray on the yard and trees. you won't find bugs anywhere but the moths on the porchlight.

8. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    another trick is to put garlic powder in your dogs food as a flea preventive. It works wonders and save on the expensive flea products.I use to breed german shorthairs and american bulldogs and never had a flea problem using garlic powder in their food:wink:

9. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin

The local rabbit population was full of fleas last winter. The dog killed a couple of rabbits and the next thing we knew the carpets were hopping. I checked with our vet and she gave us the name of an exterminator that had just de-flead her house. It only cost about $100 to get the whole house sprayed down. We haven't seen a flea since.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    My grand daughter ordered the Frontline from EBay and had the same problem as you stated . Finally resolved the problem by going to her vet and gettin the real Frontline.

11. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Oh, by the way if ya live in thecountry and have a tick issue because which treatment you use because some of them are super duper on fleas and such but to be honest they do not do much for ticks. We have woods about an run away and well seed ticks and deer ticks can be lethal so I go for frontine plus. Costs a bit but it costs way more to pay a guy to spray your home and yard and pray for no rain

12. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Seven dust works real good.You can get it feed stores just sprinkle it in your yard or where ever you have them and it will get rid of them.Crab apples from a bodark tree thrown in the back yard repels flees real good too.

13. Ed B

Ed B New Member

State:
    Medora,IL.
    We've used that seven dust as well and worked for us to for both

14. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    This is all great advice depending on what you can afford. Being on fixed income, what we've done is this: Lowes' has a home bug killer spray that lasts anywhere from 3 months to a year and kills nearly every pest you can imagine. It works good on fleas, BUT the trick is that flea eggs fall off the animal into the carpets and hatch there. The more moisture they find the bigger the hatch. The trick here is to vacuum DAILY, if not twice, empty the sweeper and burn the contents or store it in an escape proof container in the trash.
    About the garlic powder......it will work ,but if you can get the dog to eat a piece of fresh garlic daily as a treat or find a way to mix it in the food, it will work way much better.
    I could say a lot more on this, but there's so many more options, that it can get boring real quick.

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.