Flatties at Deer Creek

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ec43146, Oct 15, 2008.

1. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fished Deer Creek growing up and caught a bunch of shovelheads, the biggest around 17 pounds. All of the ones I caught were a surprise because I never targeted them. I have seen pics and skeletons of some huge ones at the bait stores there. Anybody ever go there for shovels?

2. Catmaster9786

Catmaster9786 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I go to deer creek every year for a family reunion. Most of the big cats that are caught there are caught behind the Dam in the spillway. Big flatheads are taken there every year. If you want to go there make sure to do it on a weekday because you will be shoulder to shoulder on a weekend. I have caught a few flats fish around timber near deep water in the main lake. Nothing big though

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have never personally caught a flathead catfish out of deercreek.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know of many people who catfish deer creek lake alot, and have for many years..They have never caught a flathead.

5. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I'VE FISHED THERE ALMOST EIGHTY HOURS THIS YEAR AND CAUGHT NONE. BUT I DID NOT FISH FOR THEM JUST CHANNELS.

6. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    well,i have caught a flat out of there,so ha to all you non-believers.

it may have been a few years ago and maybe went 1 1/2 pounds,but,i did catch one out of there :crazy:

and that is after years and years of fishing that lake,and it is only one for me.

i really believe there is a good population for them,but the lack of good structure around the bank fishing spots kinda puts a damper on getting them off of the bank.i don't think very many fish for them.

i would like to get out on the main channel and fish the structure on it,i bet there would be some good ones to get a hold of in there.

7. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the ones I caught were where the creek enters the lake and up the creek a little bit. I was fishing for chaanels at the time so they were a welcome surprise. At frosties and Mary's bait store they have some pics of decent ones that were caught, not sure of exact sizes. The old bait store down by the marina had some huge heads on the telephone pole beside it. WhenI go after channels I am going to put a pole out for flatties, who knows.:confused2:

8. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I hooked into a decent sized flathead (20ish) at the deer creek marina that busted my line when i tried to pull him out of the water (no net with me) but that was many,many years ago.