flatties and current

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bigmaac73, Apr 8, 2008.

1. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    Ok, here it goes. I have recently started fishing a river that I am told by many has alot of good flatheads in it. I caught one nice 10lber last trip out but I would like to be able to start targeting them. here is my question. This is a smaller river, actually most would call it a large creek but it is a river, with very swift current. I hear alot about structure, structure, structure, and as I go down the river I see this one spot. At this spot the main river splits into 3 smaller parts and the current right there is really funneled and seems to REALLY pick up(it completely turned my boat around with 2 anchors set out). Now there is a massive(compared to the rest of the river) log jam right there at the split. Would the current be too strong for the preference of the flatheads or would the presence of all that wood hold them anyway. Now tell me if I am wrong here but this is what I was thinking, keep in mind I am a BEGINER big time at flatheads. I thought that if they were there that they would be tucked way up in the cover that would break the current in the daytime, then at night might move up one of the arms that had less current to feed. Let me see if I can paint you a picture of this section. The river comes down and splits into three arms. Two of them meet up just like 50 yards down river while the left arm is a dead slew. The middle arm is acting like a funnel for the current and it is really strong comming up on that middle arm but that is where all the cover is, right on leading edge and comming into the arm. The right arm is alot slower current but is about half as deep. If you follow it down they meet up again and where the slow current flows is about 5 ft of water, then you can see the current break like a line in the water and it drops to near 30-40 feet, the deepest hole in miles. I thought that with such a close proximity to deep water that the fish would be willing to put up with the current as long as they could tuck back deep in that log jam and then maybe come up that shallower arm at night to feed. There is really no point in trying to fish the log jam cause the current is just too strong. do you all think that there are any fish there anyway? Sorry to make this so long, but I wanted to be detailed so you could make a more educated assesment of my situation. thanks

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i think your on the right track try to fish the backside as close as you can to the log jam during the day and try to fish the shallows near the log jam at night

3. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    i'd probably consider myself a beginner too, but i'd think the cats would sit in that deep hole during the day. because of the faster water coming into the hole, they'd hold tight to the bottom, and they'd get plenty of clean oxygen rich water. they are going to hold up in the place where they can use the least amount of energy. at night they could either come all the way up into the slower arm of the river but they may also hold along that seem in the river where the two currents come together....holding in the slower water waiting for something to come by. there may be a few (if it's big enough) sitting in the log jam, but it depends how deep that log jam is....if there is an eddy behind it, there is a good chance that there may be a wash out hole behind there and i'd drop a bait in that eddy, as tight to the cover as possible/practicle. make sure you have heavy heavy gear though, no point in catchin' a fish if it's just going to break you off in the trees.

4. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    If I was fishing this area I would try the slower shallow water at night, if the current is that strong the bait fish would be in the slow water. Good luck in your pursuit of the flatheads and let us know how you do.

5. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    Thanks guys, I gues I just wasn't sure if they would be in there due to the strong current. Thought that maybe the current was too strong for them.