Flatsheads in small bodies of water?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CJ21, Sep 25, 2005.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am do Flatsheads live in small bodies of water like creeks or streams? I would like to catch some.

2. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I honestly couldnt tell you if catfish live in a creek or stream. I have caught catfish in creeks or streams after dark, while they were in the creek looking for baitfish. Wether or not they live in there I couldn't tell you. I suppose if the creek or stream is deep enough, or there are holes in the bank or timber in the creek, then chances are there might be cats in there....as long as the creeks and streams you are talking about arent miles away from a catfish feeding area.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    there are here. flatheads are native in this area. there is a small creek that is called the kickapoo that runs through our area. right outside of town as a matter of fact. i have fished it since i was a kid. most of it isn't ankle to knee deep in the summer but there are holes and pools where the bottom has been washed away from the bend in the creek. we set banks poles and such. there are channels and flatheads both in it. i caught a 3# flathead this spring and some buddies of mine caught a 8#flathead this fall.

the creek floods 3-6 times a year when there are heavy rains and it leads into larger rivers. they move in and out and get trapped in the holes during the summer. every once in a while there is one of good size caught. a 24# last year and a friend of mine snagged a 15#er on a smallmouth lure several years back. ya they can be there.

this creek isn't much wider than 30-40 ' with sand bars and stuff. great smallmouth creek. them holes is where to start looking if the flathead is native in your area.

4. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Absolutely flatheads use feeder creeks to feed in when they roam at night. Obviously there has to be flatheads present in whatever body of water the creek feeds in order for them to run up the creeks in the first place. The closer you are to where the creek pours into the river or lake the better it seems from my experience with them.

5. Catfight

Catfight New Member

State:
    Summerfield N.C.
    I have caught small ones out of feeder creeks, Flatheads and Channels. I love a good Catfight.

6. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I have caught some in creeks and such but you will have to find deep holes. They will feed in the shallows at night but will stay in the deep holes during the day.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ok! What u use for bait? for flatheads?

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    cj. in these smaller creeks there can be smaller flats and some large as well. use live bait. try anything from several large nightcrawlers gobbed onto 1 hook and live minnoew and small bluegills. no need to go to large on the baits when these smaller creeks mostly contain small to medium fish. and that one large one (if hes there) will hit a 3-4 " bluegill too. good luck.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ok thanks for the help guys! I will try those baits.