Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Flats and channel cats

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  twaskom 
#1 ·
I am looking for incites on areas to fish for either of these cat species and people to fish with. I would love to find some areas to get into some good channel cats. I used to fish the New River and catch a few small flatheads but didn't know where to concentrate on fishing. The same can be said for the upper James. It has been a long time since I have specifically targeted either of those two. I haven't fished channel cats in particular since I spent time in MN as a teen. I love fishing the lower James for big blues but that's a serious road trip from here and I can't get away to go down there near as often as I would like. With limited shore fishing access down there and having two project boats sitting in the yard it may be a bit before I can get to do any serious fishing down there. If anyone is interested in hunting down some hot spots and getting geared up for tackling some flatheads as the water warms up let me know. I hope to either have both of my boats up and running soon or find something ready to go. I am game for hitting the New, Upper James, Claytor lake or even Smith Mountain and anywhere else nearby.

#6 ·
Welcome to USCA. IMHO the best catfishing in Virginia is the lower James river from Richmond to well below the confluence of the Chickahominy river. (Not sure on the spelling of the Chic but neither was Siri.) You will find some premier Blue Cats throughout the entire stretch. I have caught several decent flatheads in this area as well. I am told the best flathead fishing is from Dutch Gap upstream and even above Richmond.

Are you boat or shore fishing?

#9 ·
"Justsrw" you have it made with great saltwater fishing on one side and world class cat fishing on the other. Just have to drive a couple hours to get there. Because of the tide, wind on big water, spend some time learning the ropes.

Welcome to the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.