Flathuner Takes Up Bassfishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by H2O Mellon, Dec 10, 2008.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Earlier this evening I received an email from Jack that was really suspose to have went to someone else. Here is the email:

-From Flathunter

"Thanks for the response. I'm new to fishing for Bass. I'm finally trying something new because the trips to the payponds for catfish are getting boring.

So what is the best way to fish rubber worms, is it drop shotting, or bouncing them off wood while using the Carolina rigging system?

I am used to conventional baitcasters such as Abu 6500's, should I try to get a low profile reel such as an Abu Pro Max? I hear the thumb bar release plus the flipping switch on the low profile reels are a real plus.

The river that I fish has some deep holes near cover. Should I try throwing deep diving crank baits such as the Mann's +15's or stick with something such as a Rapalla Husy Jerk?

I'm completely loss on line. I only use 20-40 $ Big Game line. Now that I'm going to be targeting a true Ohio Gamefish such as the Largemouth Bass, should I look for a low stretch mono, or go with a super braid?

Rods.... Where do I begin? Right now I' looking at a few 6'6" graphite rods, made by St Croix, All Star and Falcon. What should I be looking for specificallyy? Do I need a specific rod for plastic baits and a specific rod for crankbaits?

My main goal, although it will be a hard one is to top my buddy Bryan Mellon's PB Ohio Largemouth of 8.5#. I know he's a true wildriver catfisherman now and would never fish for Largemouth but I just feel like I need to catch a nice trophy Largemouth to be somewhat like him.

Again thanks for all your help. I can't wait until April when your going to show me how to stalk for those Big Female Largemouths that are on the beds.

I'll talk to you soon.
    Jack"

Now fellas, I don't know what to do about this. Any suggestions. I would love to keep this quite and a secret from Jack. I don't want him knowing I caught him. :wink:

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    lmao.i hope he is planning on using the bass as bait :eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Oh no, I think he plan on taking it up for sport. I do know that Flathunter is a big time Saugeye fisherman. I know his exact spot, what he uses and everything. Now I can back this statement up w/ proof, if anyone doesn't believe me.

You know Jack doesn't use Dip Baits or Stink Baits because he says they are too "Icky and Gross". I'm telling 'ya...... I'm affraid that Flathunter is going to be know as Basshunter or Saugeyehunter soon. :006:

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Say it aint so! :embarassed:

And all the things you have done for him. You have taken Jack under your wing and treated him like a son.

Sacrifices you have made! Isn't it good enough that you let him walk in your shadow?

You would think he wouldn't do this to you?

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    oh wow,you guys better get him on the right track,that or buy him a bass boat so you can have his spots for yourselves.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rumor has it , that Flathunter asked Paul to produce a BOC shirt that had a Largemouth bass chasing a creek chub. I can not conform this rumor, maybe Paul can. :wink:

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    lmao,thats not right,funny,but not right :eek:oooh:

8. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sadly, Flathunter sent a certified check this morning for the shirts :embarassed:

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Jack just need's a good american Bass kicking he is out of controll :big_smile:lol SMACK HIM WITH A OL DEAD SHAD ???????????

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Just never know what Jack will be up to next!

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They probably have pay ponds for bass Mellon... That would make for a great Christmas gift card for Jack. Maybe a stocking with some walking worms, and banjo minnows would be a nice gesture also..lol..:wink: rollo

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Here we go again finally. Sittin on the edge of my seat waitin for Jack to respond. Must be watchin them bass fishin shows on the tele vision/

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I expect that Jack is in deep water and having trouble making a post. He is making some major decision now and that can be alot for him to handle at one time.

14. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    it's like he just came out of the closet secretly.

15. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    so now he wants to be a bass kisser:smile2:

16. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Come on Jack, you gotta say something....

17. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    well melon since jack is gone after bass now he wont need those sinkers you gave him so can i have them now

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats it, pick on a guy while he is at work and cant defend himself!!!!!

The only reason I would bass fish is to use the bass for bait!!!:wink:

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I still think the banjo minnows would be good:wink: rollo

20. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Say it aint so!!! Hopefully he has it posted Bass Ackwords......:crazy: