Flatheads, Water Temp and Seasons??

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by puddle jumper, May 10, 2009.

1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Ok guys,
    Im getting into flathead fishing, "Ive been a blues Man untill now":cool2:
    I know from area to area flatheads spawn feed different months, So what I would like to know what are the flathead seasons, spawning, summer patern, fall, feeding for the winter and when do they become inactive for the winter??:confused2:
    I know this is all water temp related so what am I looking for in the seasons as far as water temps go?? and what season is best fishing??

Thanks for all the help:wink:
    Puddle

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ll youll get a varity of anwsers but from may to july, there hitting goog, then slow down a little in july augest then pick back up in sep october, but youl get them from may to november, but the best moths id say are june, mid septemer throgh october, but summers good to, just find cooler water later at night, throgh out lots of polls with live baits around structer or flats near holes , but im not the pro , lisen to all the expersts, flamekeper is a legend in my eyes if there was a lord of fishing hed be the one, but theres only one lord in my book, but if greek mytholgy was true hed be one of the vbest, so is john

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    John
    Being as far south as you are you can probably fish for flatheads 9 month out of the year. They seam to slow considerably in the fall when water temp get down in the 50degree range and start back up pretty good when the temp get back up in the mid to upper 50's in the spring.

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Starting off early the "golden time" is said to be 50 degrees, but that is only when they "start" to become active. I would say when the water is a steady 60-68 degrees is a prime time, mid to late summer "the hotter months" 75+ degree water temps it will slow down a bit but if you have some great spots like deep holes and massive log jams they should produce regulary through this time.. The best "dead time" spots for me are the huge jams that have water depth atleast 8-10 foot +.

Now on to the fall bite which alot of flathead anglers will swear is the best time to nail them and in many cases they are right! The water may cool fast or slow but when it reaches around 60 degrees in my ball park, It is time to start hitting it hard!!! every night if possible. The fall bite is a very tricky area because it could last a week or it can last 2 days, and brother believe me when it hits you will know it! And when it's over, YOU WILL KNOW IT!! The hard part is being there when it happens because it is impossible to predict when it's going to happen but you can bet it does.
    So far in my "studies" it will take place in or near a wintering hole give or take a mile. A flathead can in some instances gain 10lbs+ DURING THIS TIME IN A MATTER OF DAYS!! I have seen the same fish caught a week before this and when caught again he was around 8lbs heavier, Which IMO if you are leveled out on your PB and can't find one bigger this is something to look into to beat it.

Good luck bro!

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    And remember bro that this was all just my personal eperiences and may have to be changed a bit, but this should get you a solid starting point. You seem to be a very skilled fisherman so I have no doubt you will get her down in no time!

6. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Puddle, it seems like the don't start biting good over here until the water temp gets up to at least 60 degrees. 65 is even better. In the spring I've had the best luck fishing the deep holes in the middle of the day when the sun is bright. When it's overcast, it seems like they wander around more and shallower water may produce better. Once it gets really hot, usually in June, the daytime bite slacks off and it becomes more of a nighttime thing. I'm sure they stay in the holes during the day, but it seems like when it's really hot they just don't want to bite in the daytime. During the summer, I've had the best luck from dark until about 1 a.m. Contrary to popular belief, I've caught a lot of flats out of the deep holes at night but I've also caught them in shallow, especially when they're feeding along sand bars. In the fall, once the water cools down, it seems like they go back to the spring daytime pattern. I don't fish for them during the winter months. Hope this helps.

7. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    BUMP!!! we need some more advice for puddle!.........ROLLO, JOHN CATFISH YOUNG, GRIZ, JASON BERRY, FLAMEKEEPER,SCOTTY,GARY F, ect.
    give this man some info! :smile2:

8. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Thanks Steve, :wink:
    Ive been reading all the other threads, The info im looking for is in here but I have to dig for it...:big_smile:
    Puddle

9. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    Had a friend catch over 200 lbs on one DEC. DAY in the winter on west point all in one deep hole close to Franklin. He was in a jon boat and said he would have sunk the boat but ran out of live bream... so im think they hold up in deep water where the temp. don't change much

10. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Stay off my hole. :big_smile: LOL

11. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    The best time is to Fish for Flatheads is when you ant at work . If you got a job like me you got to go to work . So you Fish for Flatheads when you ant at work all year long . " CCC = Catch Clean Cook "