flatheads that pull you in

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jul 27, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    this is no joke i went out last night and hooked in to a flathead that was pulling me in i had forgotten to lossen my drag and couldent take my hand off the poll so i just braced myself and he snapped 60 braided like nothing, at least im alive and still have my poll, never hooked into somthing like that, i would guess 70 or 80 pounds, it was crazy ,

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    I hear i got seat belts on my custom made chairs in the boat and a couple of them 5 point harnesses out of some old crashed up race cars that i strap to the pole .:wink: you know its gonna take a good fish to eat a whole live cornish hen , or a live genie pig. flatheads eat anything i tell ya

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i hear ya scotty:smile2: rollo

i might wanna invest in some 5 point harnesses also,,,,rollo

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    When i was a kid and i hung into a big flathead my dad or grandfather would hold on to the back of my belt so it wouldnt drag me in lol, almost happened several times.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Too bad you didn't have the drag set. Sure would have been nice to get a look at that monster! I know you were hating that!

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a real nice fish, better tie yourself down the next time you hit that hole!

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    did you at leat get to see him roll? sounds like a blast!

8. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    When those big flats run, it a bull-rush. Full power. Last year I lost several fish I couldn't turn around. And Iam using big outfits. They just laugh and keep on going.

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    well i never had a HUGE FLATHEAD PULL ME IN but i had a 5 lb carp jump out of the water while i left my pole on the back of the boat and from where i was( under the cabin ) a big jumping whale pulled my pole over the swim deck :roll_eyes:

the reel hung up on the railing so i grabed it

10. littlecat

littlecat New Member

State:
    west virginia
    my biggest was 44 lbs wasnt pulling me in but i let my son have him a while and he was hedin for the water and i grabed the pole back.

11. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    never had one pull me in but last year my cousin and i were fishing the river and it was up 6 or 7 feet higher than usuall but his pole slammed over and he went to set the hook and had him for a few minutes but in that few minutes it had pulled him out of his chair flat on his a** man wish he would of pulled that fish in he let go a few seconds later but man was it funny to see he was not even expecting it..lol..

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <When i was a kid and i hung into a big flathead my dad or grandfather would hold on to the back of my belt so it wouldnt drag me in lol, almost happened several times.>

That's what I do with my grandson. It would make a funny Youtube video to have this going on and turn him loose! :)
    BB in SC

13. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a brother in Texas who told me he was bass fishing with his wife in an oxbow lake in one of those little two person mini boats powered by a trolling motor when something big hit his jig. I don't remember the pound test of the braid he had on but he tightened the drag as tight as he dared and hung on. Soon the little boat turned and followed along behind the huge fish and his wife started pleading with him to just cut the line. After cruising down along the bank a little ways he passed an old man fishing from the bank who laughed and said he probably just had a big ole "op"(flathead) on and to just hang on and he would wear him down. My brother replied, "I don't think he even knows he is hooked!" Shortly after more pleading and begging from his nervous wife the fish passed under a log and the line parted. It didn't take him long to find a bigger boat.:smile2:

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I consider this a word of warning for those seeking monster catfish. Next time remember to keep the drag set fairly loose or have a pair of skis strapped to your feet, because your going for a ride!! lol!!:crazy:

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    how much differance is there in size between blues and flats never got a blue in had some on, wich fight harder

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    One of the most important things to remember about fishing for big fish is to keep your drag set properly. A good and working drag is a must. I always check my drag before and after each cast. I wish I could hook into a monster that was capable of pulling me in. It would have to be a real hog, because I'm a pretty big ole boy myself. I just landed a 67.2 lb flathead several weeks ago on 20 lb test mono and without a properly set drag..... I couldv'e kissed that one goodbye. Thankgoodness for smooth drag system:crazy:

17. Mud Cat

Mud Cat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sure had to be a nice fish but im :wink: not sure that u would need a 5 point harness!!!!Lol!

18. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Unfortunately most of us that lose uncountable hours of sleep hunting those monsters of the night have lost some really, really big fish (at least that's what we'd like to think:smile2:). I had a rod holder almost pulled out of the side of my boat last year and I had one dump half the line off of my reel before hanging me on 30lb test. The power of those big flatheads is unreal. I definitely enjoy fishing for them much more than any species of catfish, coolest fish on the continent!!