flatheads that dont run

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jul 7, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    how often will flatheads just chomp and not move off, what do i do in this sitiwation if im using a circal hook i caght 2 this way but missed about twenty, and why are they doing this they were all female with eggs could this be it

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Well, first off - you only now that the two you caught were females with eggs. The ones you didn't catch could have been anything - maybe not even flatheads.

I don't know why flatheads do that sometimes. I have only run into it a couple of times. One time was in the fall and the water was cooling down, so I thought that was it, but since then I have fished colder water and gotten real good hits.

In your case, it might be that you are putting the bait right in their holding spot with them. It sounds like you were fishing in (or near) some pretty good current, that would put a little bow in your line and mask some of the bites. If the fish are already sitting right where they want to be, then there is no reason for them to run off with a bait, especially worms. (Flatheads generally hit cut bait and worms much more gently than they hit live baits - IMO.)

Short answer - if they won't move off with the bait, then circle hooks are going to be real tough. Put them up and go with J hooks for the day.

3. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I think John is pretty well right on with his answer.

4. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    I find it to be the case more often then not! I use kahles and it seems to work if they have there food and are on cover why would they move? I like to reel down till i get a good load on the rod and theen bring her home!

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    so is this a commen thing or do they usaly bols with live bait

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    For me it is very uncommon, but I would bet it depends on when/where/how you are fishing.

Like, I think it's more common in cold water and with cut bait or worms.

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have had that happen to me occasionally. If using circle hooks and you suspect a flathead has your bait but not running, try grabbing the line just above the reel and give it a few tugs. This sometimes will make the flathead think the bait is still alive and he will move a few feet with the bait.

8. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Wolfman,that is something I do also and it does work.I have had one or two though just lay there,even after doing this, and not move.I even had one one time lay there and shake itself :crazy:.Then the fish took off like a bat out of .... and break my line like it was nothing.:crazy:.It was cool though cause I know it had to be a nice un:smile2:

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Some like some lazy fish!!! I am sure that you just need to make them work a little harder for the bait. Move it around a little and if they are there, they will get mad and come and get it. There will be no problem with them running then

10. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    I find it very common that a flathead will not run off with the bait after they take it. In fact, they even come at the boat sometimes as well leaving your line slack. Thats why I always, always have an eye on my rod tips to detect these bites and never fish circle hooks w/ live bait for flatheads. When they come at you, you need to be able to set the hook. Once you hear that rod thump, sometimes it'll be 5-10 seconds before they'll even move with it and that is prime time to set the hook even.

I do think this tendency happens to be spot specific. Some spots I fish, this will be very common and other spots they'll always take off with the bait like a bat out of hell.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

They do it all the time when I fish below small lowhead dams. You would see your rod bounce or your clicker take a few clicks then nothinng. Then when you reel in to check your bait, the fish would be on.

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Same thing happened to me yesterday,,got at the lake and on the very first cast about 6' under a slip float that 4" bluegill was swimming to beat heck above a rock flat that followed around the bank.Before I got my other rig set up the float went down,gone for a couple seconds then back up, so I continued with my other rod and looked up and noticed that the float was gone. I did'nt hear the clicker, so I looked at the line and it was still limp,setting the rod down I walked down there and picked it up and tighen the line and nothing; So i figured it swam under a rock or something..I pulled up on the rod and it got pretty tight before I jerked and bamm he took off like a rocket.LOL.. 10 minutes or so later I had a 31# flathead in the net..weighed him and released him for another day.....It was kinda funny how he just set there holding his own..:smile2: Pic of it is on the channel board under ; channels on top of channels..

13. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    The Flats will do that on cut bait.

The last time NO BUMP while tight lining but it looked like I had a samll piece of seaweed on the line in the current. After approx 45 min I told my wife I bet they r doing it to me yet again, so I pulled hard.....It was about a 22-24# Flat.

No Circles or clickers fer me guys. I want gear/tackle that works..KISS (It it simple s"""""").

:smile2:

14. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    have had this happen to me alot slack the line up or just bump bump bump i use circles an i hit um just like u would with j hooks an i dont miss many fish i do the same thing in the gulf shark fishing i always set the hook even tho im useing circles only way they will pull out is if its in his throat not his jaw

15. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    Most of the time thats how it is during the day but if it is at night i dont know what the problem is.