Flatheads swimming with stripers???

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CatsNstripers, Dec 14, 2009.

1. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    About 2 weeks ago. Now this didnt happen on the same day. We caught a few flatheads whilte targeting stripers. Nothing odd there. but what is odd. Is were we caught the flatties. they all came out of a school, and sometimes a massive school of stripers. They came from down rods running 25-35ft. Now we may have been over a bottom of 60ft. So meaning these flatheads were suspended. Also it was not uncommon to have 1-3 of my other downrods loaded up with a striper at the same time as the flathead was on.. Just seems very odd to me..

Friend of mine was also on a school of stripers not 100yards from me and he to caught a flathead out of a school of stripers.

These Flatheads were catching are running 6-10lbs...

ALSO I posted a new SML striper report in the striper section

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Not unusual. Catfish frequently feed directly under schooling stripers. The catfish feed on the falling bits of debris left by the feeding stripers. Flatties certainly don't hug the bottom all the time. I have caught them suspended many times.

Bill in SC

3. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    never did this my self but I read a article on the boc a while back talking about catching flatties on top water plugs

4. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I have heard of flatties hitting top water plugs. In May when the alewives spawn. Its definitly not uncommon to catch as many flatheads as stripers an bass at nights casting thundersticks and F18s...

I to have heard of cats expecially blues feeding below stripers. But what amazes me is that these flatheads must have been swimming with the stripers. At the times we caught the flatheads. My Sonar was blacked out with a school of stripers. roughly 10ft down to 45-50ft of stripers in the water column. My baits were roughly 25-30ft down. Which means the Flatties were up in the school of stripers, competeing for food. Which to me, is just truly awesome! Kinda pictures in my mind a lil 8lb flathead pushing around a 15lber striper for a snack...

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Mac is good at finding them Flatheads with Stripers......he does well using a jig too ; )

I'll be darned if I can do it, LOL.

-Jim-

Since the temps dropped here into the 50's Ive been hearing about a few Flats being caught...maybe feeding good before wintering ????

6. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I've HEARD many interesting things about SML and I imagine that it would be a great place for these types of things to happen. I'm gonna get over there next year if I have to mortgage the house AGAIN.

7. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    thanks for the info...:big_smile:

8. jcat61

jcat61 Guest

Hey Travis, I seen it on the James this past spring! We were drifting baits at 10-15ft in 30+ feet of water and caught flatties on two different occasions. They were definately mixed right in there together with the stripers as we were picking up both at the same depths. Would love to see some footage of that with an underwater camera!!