Flatheads still feeding

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bufryda1, Nov 24, 2005.

1. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    Fished at my spot on the Cape Fear up here in Erwin and wor'em last night. Caught 23 fish all on poles and never moved from one spot. Biggest was a 46# flathead and also caught 22 blues anywhere from 5-20lb. The flathead hit good too, my buddy caught him on fresh cut gizzard shad. I've always heard that the flatheads usually turn off when the water gets cold, but not Papa Hawg. I think that all that rain that we just got really turned on the fish. This trip was one of my best all year. Hoping to get out this Friday.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Wow, thats great! Thanks for the report. I'm gonna have to fish that river sometime soon.

good luck :)

3. crlail41

crlail41 New Member

State:
    Hickory NC
    Way to go. I've been on the Cape Fear both above Erwinand below, down at E-town. hope I can do half as well next time.

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Bufryda

Any idea what the water temps were please?

<><Baitkiller><>

5. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    I couldnt tell you but it has been pretty cold here for the past couple weeks 50's in the day, and 20-35 at night. It got down to 19 last night. I would say that the water is at or near 50 degrees. I was surprised when we landed that big flat. Thought the water was too cold.

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Do you net your own shad, or is there actually someplace around here where you can get them? I've been checking places that I know of, even seafood markets, and noone has any. I know of a couple of places where shad reside, but the ones I net there are only 3-4 inches long. Decent for bass and channels..but not really worth wasting my time tossing at the big-uns...unless I try putting about 15 on a hook at a time!!! :eek: