Flatheads on Wateree

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Zero, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Zero

Zero New Member

State:
    SC
    How's the flathead population on Wateree? I can't remember the last time I heard of a nice flathead coming out of Wateree...

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    There are flatheads in Lake Wateree. Bowlerman has caught a couple in his cast net. Never heard of any big 'uns come from there.....YET!

3. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    That's one I would have to see to believe but very possible

4. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    i have caught way to many blues and channells from wateree to count but i can tell you exactly how many flattheads . i caught 2 last year in a cast net and they were both around 2lb. and i think that cary (billfish) may have done the samething the week before

now don't take this the wrong way but just because you ain't seen it don't mean it didn't happen. i learned this the hard way about 5 years ago when i heard that a fisherman had caught a 54lb blue from wylie (dieter) i said there was no way!, he is lying about where he caught it , i had fished wylie my whole life and had only seen one blue period ( i didn't know dieter then). well this year i have seen a ton of 30-40lb class fish from wylie with a 58 and 2 60lb+ fish not to foget billfish and his 64lb so i had to eat my words. and years ago i had never heard of flattheads being caught from wylie and this year i have seen cary and dieter catch several in the 30lb class and i have had a few 25-33lb + and my wylie pb of just short of 50lb ,49 and change and i know he didn't get that big overnight.

i think there are big flatheads in there but no body really makes a effort to target them, and i don't think there are many. i think me wyliecat and billfish need to go on a recon one night next year and try to get one.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Wait a minute now. Didn't Sunbird and GatorT win "big fish" with a 40+ pound flattie last summer at Wateree? Yesiree, I believe they did!

Bill in SC

6. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    bill no one has won no wateree tourney with a flathead all the tourneys have been won with blues I have fished here on wateree for a long time an have heard storys of flatheads caught on the lake but never caught or seen one but it would make since for them to be there wylie an fishing creek have them above wateree and the wateree river has plenty of them I saw a 68lber come from right above # 1 bridge I want to see one caught I have never went after them on wateree but this year I may give them a shot

7. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Bill that was a Blue that Gator caught that night

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    OK, thanks. I guess I had my signals crossed.

Bill in SC

9. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    We've caught flatheads in front of Clearwater on shrimp years ago.They were all around 8"-14" long.