flatheads on lake ivie

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by iviecatman, May 3, 2008.

1. iviecatman

iviecatman New Member

State:
    texas
    Big fish are beginning to cruise. Caught four yellows yesterday, largest was 38 lbs. Biggest blue went 32 lbs. My personal best channel was 14 lbs until yesterday when I boated a 18 lb fish. If wind slows down I will see what I have today.

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    sounds like you had fun way to go

3. turkey buzzard

turkey buzzard New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg,Texas
    Where were you fishing and were you using trot lines?
    Will be there the 6th, 7th, and 8th of June.
    Carl

4. haligan225

haligan225 New Member

State:
    texas
    Sounds like you had a great trip. I am heading to Ivie this weekend. Try my luck. Maybe see ya out there.

5. iviecatman

iviecatman New Member

State:
    texas
    I was up the creeks and in coves near the channel. Fishing is dropping off there. I will move all my lines early next week. The yellows are moving to the steep rocky banks like they do every year to nest. For the next month you will catch some of the biggest fish of the year. Run your trotlines up and down the bank. I like the biggest perch I can find. Ivie is full of some of the biggest bluegill anywhere. They are a blast on ultralight. A 30 lb plus fish will have no problem eating them. From what I have observed the biggest fish will spawn first then after a few weeks the small fish move in. Use big hooks, medium heavy rocks and set your lines with the rocks just off the bottom so the line will be tight.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you had your self a good fishing trip congrats on your catches, glad to hear that you caught some catfish, good luck to ya on the rest of your trips keep us informed on how you do.

7. texasnascarfan200

texasnascarfan200 New Member

State:
    texas
    im from coleman now live in bangs but always loved to fish ivie used to haul water out of the leaday crossing looks like the lake is doing good have not fished it in 9 yrs but we sure had a lot of fun after it opened thanks for the all around info on the big yellows