Flatheads - Northern Kentucky

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by TheRegulator, Jul 10, 2008.

1. TheRegulator

TheRegulator New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Anyone live in Northern Kentucky, around the Florence area? Where is a good place to fish for Flatheads?:big_smile:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    TheReg

Now is a poor time to Fish the Flatheads in my OPINION for most are in the spawn and u would be doing great to get anything of any size.

:0a25: To The BOC TheReg!!!!!!

the Ohio River would be a great place to start fishing for them if u have not started yet. U may look back in the KY threads for some more info on that. In case u need to learn alot u may want to spend this slow time reading in the Libary here under Baits Tackle etc., etc.

There is an area just downstraem from u but can't remember the name right now...BRB

:cool2:

4. TheRegulator

TheRegulator New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the welcomes, when would be a good time?
    I have never been and have been itching bad to go!:big_smile: No boat, so I am trying to find a place with bank acces to tangle with them!

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    The Flats spawn @ aprox 73-78 water temp and not all do it at the same time. Most here and I agree that they start biting @ 55, 60 is even better and they stop when it drops below 55. I suggest mid Aug till approx the end of Oct if the temps hold good. (OPINION)

http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=iln&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1&toggles=10,7,8,2,9,15,6

http://www.lrd-wc.usace.army.mil/navtemp.html

Save these links on your "Favorites" on your PC.

Sorry I can not recommend any one spot down your way to start.

:embarassed:

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Up here in N.E. KY the Flats are starting to come off the spawn according to a couple buddies that fish the Ohio and Big Sandy once or twice a week. Not sure about down there though.
    Most of the fish are coming on large bluegills also.
    Hope this helps!:wink::big_smile:

7. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey regulator I think a good place for you to go from the bank would be the boat ramp on the ohio down in petersburg. i have caught quite a few fish in that area that were good sized off my boat. another place would be craigs creek down by markland. and you might want to try the mouth of the licking river. when i worked on a tugboat up there i always saw good fish caught there.