Flatheads Live or cut bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 24, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What is bait of choice for these fish? Thanks Will

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I use both at different times, I can't really say better or not have caught as many on cut as live and also frozen left overs so it's up in the air with me. Bait and they will come....:wink:

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Personally, I've noticed more on Live Bait than cut bait in a Lake. Rivers seem to be a bit different. I think they are a lot more aggressive in the Rivers and less "picky" ...

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I personally think that the larger ones prefer the larger live bait, but (this is kinda funny) I've caught my largest on a bluegill head and hooked my largest on cut bait so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I just have noticed that I typically catch smaller flatties on cutbait as opposed to live. I'm almost to the piont of thinking that if they come across it they are going to eat it. Fish are oppurtunistic feeders. They can't afford to be picky or they die of starvation plain and simple. If all you have is cut, don't be afraid to use it. My girlfriend caught a nice flathead Wed. night on a chunck of frozen bluegill. It was my first time trying frozen bait and it worked well. I'm definitely going to start bringing a few frozen baits just in case from now on.

5. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i cant hardly ever catch flats seem to have a hard time finding them dont know why i know there where im at but all i get as far as big ones is blues i fish for flats i catch gar dont know what im doing wrong

6. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i was using cut bait in the river on all my limb lines and all my bait was gone... so i put on some live gills earlier on today...ill check em tomoraw and see if i got an old flattie on there

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I've caught Flattys on cut bait, Bluegill heads in particular but all my largest have come on live bait!

8. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I've only caught a few flat heads and they were all around the 5 pound range and they were caught on night crawlers.
    I think a lot of it depends on where you fish, and what they are used to eating?

Ken

9. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Largest came on a big live bream fished close to where a deep channel meets a shallow flat, at night...

Good Luck
    Mike

10. CATFISH1998

CATFISH1998 New Member

State:
    Westerville,Ohio
    I have found the live ones work the best. I have only caught 2 this year an they hit on the live ones. Well good luck

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive cought them on both but my main bait for flats is live bream.my largest a 37 1/2 lbder came on nite crawlers.

12. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I argue with people all the time about this I have been using strictly cut skipjack for three weeks and no flatheads but I am fishing for blues. if i was fishing for flatheads i would use live bluegill or live baby carp and I almost always catch at least one when targeting flatheads. I say live bait hands down without a doubt. i believe You catch a flathead occasionally on cut bait.

13. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Live gills or chubs always out-do dead for me.