flatheads just getting off the spawn?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by flathunter, Aug 27, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Talked to a friend at work tonight, said he caught a 20-lb flat last night that had fresh spawning marks on it...It's almost september, if that is so it sure is late for those fish to just get done...what a strange year.

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    It could be Jack, in the last week or so, the flatties have finally started showing up over here on the GMR in our Summer spots

Salmonid

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Jack, thanks for this valuable info. It sure is late, but perhaps it was just a late bloomer!!

Have not heard much from you? Does that mean you have been out fishing or working too dang hard?

4. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
  5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    We were expecting the spawn on both Flats and channels to be strange this year because of the freaky weather we started out with. Warm and cold then warm and cold again. Hgh water late in the season on a lot of rivers also effected it. I just hope the late spawn doesn't affect the survival rate of the new fish because winter is just around the bend.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    caught a 45lber the other day wish fresh marks all over, he hasn't been off the nest long.

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    stupid weather has screwed a lot of things up this year.hopefully all will be well neo........:wink:

8. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    You know guys I don't think myself really the cats are actually spawning still. I was hoping someone might pop in with a good explaination on this.

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well if they arent spawning they must be having some ultimate fighting competitions cat style down there...:smile2::smile2::eek:oooh:.....Its hard to swallow but every flathead I have caught lately "and it hasn't been a bunch", seemed to be freshly banged up, if that is not from guarding the nest then I dont know what is. Also on a much sorer topic, I have a buddy who knows a guy who nets on the ohio:confused2:, anyway.............He lets him know what he gets, and not a month ago he pulled 2 big flatheads and a big blue out of his nets that were spraying eggs all over the place. As much nausea as it brings me to even think about that, it is still interesting that they were still full of eggs.

10. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks

Well fellow brothers people around here have been gettin some nice blues and flatties but the weather has been so messed up that i think we are having the same problem i got one 12lber last week that had two big scrapes on the side of its head and they were fresh looked like battle wounds from gerding the nest or like you said they are having some major cat fights under the water..:smile2:

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shane, I have been working alot, and then when I have a day off I just dont have the energy to fish...I just rest up and wait on another week of work to start.