flatheads in winter

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Nov 25, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    do flats shut off in cold weather,i was wondering were to place my baits if they still bite,i know they will in a hot ditch, but i never caht a flathead in the day exept by dams

2. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    snagged2 will be alomg to answer this.:big_smile:

3. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Deep holes

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    yes,,
    My first and primary consideration, is to insure that the terminal tackle complete with appropriate bait,, lands in a target rich environment, ,,,, ,,,,the water.!
    If the temperature of the liquid environment is insufficiently climed to allow the free will movement of the pylodictus olivaris,, opportunistic bait presentation is required to ensure close approximation of presented lure to docile target..
    upon said presentation, the intended target, with great annoyance, will inhale said lure, and immediately become attached by mechanical fixation, and will seek safe haven, causing the manually selected "Bait clicker" to wail ,,,and cause jerk alert on steady point,,
    upon sensing this, a moderate reversal of directin of entrapment device, will ensure targeted unit is in fact impaled on the mechanical fixation device,, and line reversal should commence...thereby lessening the fixed distance and infact ,,,speedily causing potential acquisition of said taret..upon visual verification of intended taret,, paramount importance of not wetting trousers, is beneficial..
    upon beaching or otherwise landing of intended target,, digital recording may commence.

5. lovedasmelloffish

lovedasmelloffish New Member

State:
    California
    HAHA, NICE!!!

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    lol thats funny,no i think my problem is getting to structer, from the bank, at night i can alwaws get hits ,but never in the day,now winter makes that even harder, wait till its freezing and go to the hot water discharge at night,i guess ill try one with cutbait and one with live gills

7. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :crazy:hot water discharge. :confused2:you fishing in the shower?:eek:oooh:

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Well,if times get tough Greg,you can always pick up some side work writing instruction manuals for any of the electronics I,ve bought.You got the touch brother!:smile2:

9. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    LMAO...I thought the question was can you catch flatheads in the winter..not plidictoerus catalicous..:smile2: j.k

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I'z thinkin' ituz uh fact fill'd ahtickulashun, o' whut ya'ned'o'do to catdh'm..uhuh,,:smile2:

11. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    just have to place the bait close to the fish in there wintering holes can still be caught in the cold months

12. pounders1

pounders1 New Member

State:
    Columbus, MS
    I fish for flats all year and never really see a difference in there depth or rate of bites throughout.. i agree i get more bites at night.. i tend to park over trees that fall in the water from the bank or fish bluerock banks that drop straight down. it varies from day today but i fish about 15 to 35 feet with the structure or bluerock.. last week in 30-40 degree weather we caught 14 in all depths so i would say there still runnin...

13. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    lmao!!! (nice diction)

14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Joey.

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If there is a warm water discharge that keeps the water at least 60 degrees, then you have a chance. But if the water temps is like below 55, forget about it.

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You can catch them when the water is hovering around 50, however, it's not something you should "plan" on doing. Doesn't get much colder than that around here so I dunno.

17. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

You southern guys got it made!:wink: I,m still waiting on this global warming stuff to make it up this way.:roll_eyes:

18. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well its 20 and i threw out for soft shade and bluegill, and sat in my care by the boat dock,poll went down, but he ran to the docks and came off, i dont know if it was a channel or a flat but it hit light, and felt at first like a 15 pounder

19. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Keep at it, it was only 32 here but the water temp was 48-82 where I fished. Wish I could pull my truck up to the bank, I'd never leave the river, but I'd probably lose alot of fish watching dvd's waiting on the fish to bite :eek:oooh:

20. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i just set the polls up and turn the car on wen it gets below 30,and turn the tunes on and whatch my polls ,circal hooks for this methed lol,i hate winter, i like 100 temps