Flatheads in May

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by dsweet, Dec 12, 2007.

1. dsweet

dsweet New Member

State:
    Michigan
    How is the fishing for Flatheads in May usually? I plan on comming to Charleston to the Kanawa and not sure the best time to come.

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont know bout your spicific area but here in arkansas may is one of our top months due to the pre spawn feed.

3. shaleetoo

shaleetoo New Member

State:
    w v
    i did catch some in may but its a little early. did good in aug sept oct . i didnt fish much in june and july . im going to fish alot early next year.i used bait in sept and oct that was 20 to 24 in. long. keep in touch and we will have to get together. i fish alone alot . im semi retired so i have the time

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm about an hour to an hour and a half from there. May is usually a good time on the Ohio down this way so I'd say its pretty good up there as well.
    Good Luck!

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    flatheads here in ohio, sometimes start there spring bite in early April here.. May is always good, the only thing that may change the bite there would be all the cold water from the mountain springs keeping the temperatures cool.. heck, if may can't work in wv then, stop short here in ohio!!! rollo

6. dsweet

dsweet New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I will be fishing the Kanawa river in the Charleston area late in May. Does anyone catch big fish in that area that can recommend a spot or 2?:big_smile:

7. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Might wanna try the Mon. River, alway's a great time for the trophy's !

HAWK

8. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    You give me a call and I should be able to hook you up.I did realy weel the last week of april and first week of may.

Heres a link to some of the flats I caught all from the same hole of water.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v611/j60k/

Feel free to browse thru the folders.I stopped posting around June but caught many more.I did rather well in 1 spot catching a total of at least 8 flats 20-40 pounds,along with some nice channels in the 10 lb range.

I live about 5 minutes from Charleston and know 2 awesome places to get shad as well as 3 good flathead spots I frequent regularly.

As a side note I released all the fish from last season after taking the pics.

9. Kenk

Kenk New Member

State:
    W.V
    Man I wish we had bigones like that near here

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Late May to early June is about the best time to hit the Kanawha and upper Ohio rivers in that area. Dont overlook the Little Kanawha river, it still holds the WV flathead state record. You will need live bluegills, suckers and creek chubs and goldfish are legal to use there also.

11. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    Wolfman gave some sound advise, but be advised that last year was unique in that the water warmed quicker and even as far north as Fairmont the bite was on in Late April which is basically a whole month early!

Normally it is exactly as Wolfman stated late May-early June. But 2007 was a different story. A fishing buddy of mine started getting reports that some guys he knows were catching Flatheads in late April, we were skeptical to say the least but admitted it had been warmer than usual so we gave it a try on May 2 to see for ourselves.

We went out in the boat and the fish finder temp reading was 67.7 we caught a 30lb. flathead and a small Flathead that night, went back out on May 4 and got a couple small Flatheads and a 25lb. Flathead.

So just watch the weather and temps and you might get into some in early May. But Late May ought to be a great time to hit the Kanawha or as Wolfman suggested the Little Kanawha.

Famed Burnsville Lake is simply the Little Kanawha dammed up. There was a 76lb. Flathead caught there a couple years ago that bested the ole record by 6lbs. but there was a mix up somehow in the anglers thought the record was 80lbs. not realizing the WV State Record is 70lbs. thus for it never got "certified" and now is just a story. But its a valid story and was wrote up in West Virginia Game And Fish Magazine along with pics. This fish was almost certainly bigger the State Record had it only been certified.

12. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would say May is a great time to go. I fish flats here in Ohio anytime after the water temps start coming back up and staying steady. I think you will do good if you go in May.