Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a very avid bluecat fisherman and catch my fair share of big blues out of the lake. But the flatheads have eluded me. I plan to target big flatties this summer in Lake Tawakoni. It is a very big, old lake with very little to no current. Most of the creeks and river channels are silted in but the blues still use these to navigate some. There is lots of structure still on the lake as in huge bois d arc trees and such, even in deep water. I have a limitless supply of gills and bullheads and shad for bait. I was just looking for info on what kind of structure I should target to find the flatties. Any help would be much appreciated,hopefully I can catch me a big flattie this summer.

· Registered
3,130 Posts
look for the most snag infested, gnarliest cover on the lake and fish there!! I'm by no means an avid Flathead fisherman, but from what I've read and seen, Flatheads are notorious for ambushing prey, mostly at night. They stay tight to cover and room the flats at night. If the lake has shallow flats and cover nearby, I would concetrate my fishing there and definently use live bait for sure!! Also look for holes in the lake and try them too. Mainly during the day!!

good luck on your Flathead quest!! hoping some more better advice comes your way!

· Banned
700 Posts
Find a bottleneck area with or with out cover in between 2 bay's or between the main lake and a bay with a creek channel running through the bottleneck area and fish a BIG live bait under a catfloat suspended 3 -6ft down right over that creek channel , I have got many a nice flathead's useing this trick .......sniper

· Registered
9,833 Posts
alot of good advice there. As the others have said, In the day time I either hit deep holes with Bluegill heads or find the nastiest looking snags, fallen trees or log jams, at night I just toss them at any under water rocks or in front of trees in shallow water. Slip-Bobbers work too a couple feet down. Bridge pilings work for me too. Honestly minus my PB flattie of 32 which was caught on a bluegill head in 45' of water most of my 20+LB Flatties come on large mouth bass. Its hard for me to get the big ones to bite when the little ones like to hit bluegills damn near there size lol

· Registered
4,103 Posts
if there are any moving water sources on the lake like inlets and outlets or feeder creeks etc., those would be prime flathead locations in the summer, if they have rock/rubble lined banks for errosion control so much the better, when the big lakes get warm and stagnant the moving water will have a higher oxygen content and attract baitfish, the catfish will follow their food right up there. Fish the channel or deeper water during the day and find an ajacent flat or mouth of the area for night fishing,often one or two foot of water will have big boys chasing baitfish and feeding heavy at night. also any brushpiles or anything else other than the rocks in the area will be daytime flathead holes, barring any structure in the area look for them in the washout hole directly where the water comes in or out,holding tight to the bottom in the well oxygenated water.

· Registered
4,060 Posts
When I started Striper fishing I realized how many Flatheads and Blues cruse along sloping points...especially if the point reaches out towards the channel.

I also pick up a good share of the on flats that drop fast into deeper water, a ledge basically.

If your lake has a dam and they pull water, hands down, thats the prime time to hit it. One dam here I can call for generaion times but on the upper part of the lake you can't get times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.