Flatheads in channels?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by holdemhook227, Sep 22, 2008.

1. holdemhook227

holdemhook227 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Does anybody have any tips on finding flowing channels in about a 5 acre lake? This lake is stalked with descent sized flatheads and I hear that they love to stay in channels. I know two places in this lake where a creek runs into it but dont know where they run through out the lake. Any advice would be GREAT.

2. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Not to sure about channels but I know Flathead love cover/ structure. And especially cover in or near drop offs and deeper water. If I were you I would also fish around those creek mouths, especially after rain.

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    you preety much need to have a good sonar unit to find these channels, I agree with the creeks being fished in higher water, the flatheads will move into these to hunt baitfish

4. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    The easiest way, as mentioned already, is using a sonar. It would depend how old the lake is and how clear the water is but try using google maps and look at the color changes on the map. Five acres is rather small but it may help if the lake(pond) is clear enough. Remember that underwater channels constantly change as errosion occurs and since sediments vary in the ground some deteriorate faster than others creating pockets. Flatties love these holes or pockets and wait for the current to bring them dinner! The answer to your question: Channels are a good place to find flatties!

5. holdemhook227

holdemhook227 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    thanks for the input guys, yeah i have also had a guy tell me to throw out a line with sinker and reel in slowly until you can feel a drop off or the sinker drop. seems elementary but worth a try lol

6. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have found even a small depression or dip in the lake bottom can make all the difference. BUT you will most likely need a depth finder.