flatheads at high rock ....

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by flathead-kid, Jan 29, 2009.

1. flathead-kid

flathead-kid New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    ok so im gonna be getting a boat in a couple weeks ... havnt really fished high rock much from a boat and havnt really had the chance to fish anywhere but there and tucker town ... so there for when i get the boat i will be wanting to go to familiar water....
    with that being said can some one point me in the right direction on where to find some decent flatheads this spring .... people say abbotts creek but a buddy and me tryed to find some fish in there and couldnt .... i see all these great pics and hear these great stories of abbotts creek .... where on abbotts creek do i need to fish?
    up the creek going towards the 47 bridge or down closer to the 8 bridge?
    also panthers point .... where are these hot spots i have heard so much about ..... no worries i keep secrets and release all fish ....

all replies are highly appreciated!

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    No idea but I wanted to offer a warm welcome to the BOC. This is a very good place to ask for questions...

3. flathead-kid

flathead-kid New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
  4. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Whats up Cory and welcome to the BOC. I'm no expert on High Rock but I can tell you what I know. The info that you have on High Rock already is good info. When you get your boat if you dont have a gps unit with a hotmaps card you will need a lake map with contours on it because your gonna need to know where the humps are to find these flatheads. Also this is one lake where you can leave the shad at home, you will need bream and goldfish only on High Rock. Shad seem to attract the channel cats and I never get a flathead bite with channels around. Also you will need to catch your bream at High Rock (it makes a difference trust me) you should be able to catch them right there at Tamarac. I hope the boat your getting isnt anything with a tee top or you wont be able to get into Abotts creek when the water level is up. You need to go under the second bridge in Abotts Creek and then start looking for humps near the main creek channel and anchor over them. Spread your bait out around the hump and be patient. Also Panther Creek is last creek on the right before you get to the dam you will see the point on your left when you start into the creek. Good Luck!

Shane

5. flathead-kid

flathead-kid New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    yes sir thats all i use when fishing for flathead is live bream ... and exactly where i catch them is right under the tamarac bridge against the rocks ... load up one 2 or 3 dozen then head out .... and the boat i want is a flat bottom jon boat so no worries on getting under that bridge!!! so you have to go under the second bridge you say because thats the one thing we didnt try .... and for panters point i guess i went wrong there too ... just before that channel that runs to the dam we fished just to the right ... so we need to go the left? ... as if your coming from tamarac heading towards the dam?????? go left? .... hey thanks for taking the time to explain all replies are highly appreciated!!!! SINCERELY!
    thanks again!

6. flathead-kid

flathead-kid New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    and how is the blue cats on high rock? from what i heard i shouldnt waste my time targeting them.... i want to start trying drift fishing and hows that on flatheads? good method on catching flats ..... drifting i mean? we have always found spots that looked like flathead areas from the research i have read .... anchored down and sat and waited!

7. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you are heading down to the dam from Tamarac, Panther Creek is on the right. Once you start into Panther Creek the point is on the left. You can catch flatheads drifting but I have always had better luck anchoring for the flatties. As far as blue castfish go in High Rock there are some there. I have personally caught one but they are still not the species you want to target at High Rock. I would suggest going down to Badin if you want to target blues. You said you ONLY use bream for flatheads. I would spend a little money on some goldfish they are superb flathead bait on High Rock.

Shane

8. flathead-kid

flathead-kid New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    thanks ill keep that in mind ... where do you buy those big gold fish at? .... dont hills have those big ones? ... if not the only other place i know is this fish store near my house in china grove "greendales" and i would pay like 6-10 a piece for a fish there .... pricey! ... but i heard hills had them just never looked ....

9. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I get mine at Piedmont Bait and Tackle in Lincolnton near my house but Im sure you can find them around High Rock somewhere. Have you tried the bait shop at the Marina?