Flatheads and floods

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by drpepper, Apr 9, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I Thought I was the king of flatheads 'til I found this forum... lol
    There are guys here that are causing me to feel like a serious rookie!
    I'm amazed at the awesome stuff I'm reading here... different styles, knowledge and advice. I think how I could have shortened my time in flathead school had I found this forum years ago... and now I feel like I'm goin' back! There's dude here that have smacked-down huge cats that I've only dreamed of... WOW!
    MY HAT IS OFF!:embarassed:

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That's the beauty of this forum - some real great fishermen here. If you have a question or need some advice, there's more than likely someone here that can help.

I'm curious, though, what's the floods part of flatheads and floods?

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I knew someone would ask that... lol

I meant to include a question with that post but um... my wife... well I'll just say she distracted me and caused me to forget!

Anyway, "Flatheads and floods"

I've noticed Guys here hatin' the flooded rivers.... but why? my experience is that High flooded rivers are the VERY BEST (although dangerous) time for flats.... During floods I can't keep a pole in the water and the feeding time expands.. It's almost not fair. I'd like to read about others experiences during these times,
    It's probably here.. I just havent crossed it yet.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    To be honest, I have a set way of fishing for the flatheads that works for me, and high water just messes that up. It makes it real hard for me to catch sunfish for livebaits (the fish are way up in the flooded brush where I can't get them).

How do you fish the flooded rivers for flats? Do you fish at night with livebaits, or some other way?

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    oh yea, I suppose It would be a pain to(try to) catch bait in a flooded river I didnt think of that... I get bait out of my pond here... or a neaby hatchery.
    I only fish at night... between 9-12 is the feed time after that... it's been rare to hook-up a flat...might as well go home or fish for channels. During floods I can expect to add an hour or two onto that "bite time" -has been my experience. It's really dangerous at times.. you hear big freakin' trees crashin' though the flooded woods as they are being swept down the river, but you can't see where they are at most the time..... and BE CAREFUL on your way back to the boat ramp in the dark... don't lose your spotlight or the lights batteries or you probably WILL die getting mowed down by a semi truck sized tree screamin' down the river! :crazy:

I pull-up into the trees near a deep hole and fish at the edge of the strong current and calm water with gills. It's always hot fishing... but not for rookie boaters either.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats the good thing on here is you can hear what people are using to catch big ones and you can take that information and it help ya

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Where I fish, I PRAY for the river to flood.

The fish tend to be easier to locate and more predictable.

8. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    Lot's of good imfo..There is some one on here from every river i fish.All Igot to do is look through their post's for the last week and I'll know how to plan my trip..

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    The Ohio river areas that I fish have been up forever. I've not been able to locate Flatties or Channels. Its been a bad year here for me. I've tried several places but no bites or anything. Its gotta change soon!!!:confused2::angry:

10. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    when it floods fish near the bank in the holes next to or behind some kind of structure
    i do this and catch channels and flaties on shad and blue gill and carp

11. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    It's been ruff here too.Wabash and the white river ain't been below flood stag in a couple of month's..I talked to the guy's in KY.when I went down to get shad gut's and they were catching a few but not many.The Ohio and the TENN. river's are way up fishing seem's to be slow every where.

12. crazycat1

crazycat1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    From my years of passionate shovelhead fishing I have learned to appreciate high flooded waters at the mouth of small creeks entering rivers. These areas produce big shovels day and night. The higher water although dangerous, produces mass quantities of large catfish. I have had success multiple times and cought over 300 pounds 4 times per night in the past. Wher it looks like the water is too high to fish find one of these small creeks and then tell us the results. Paul Gaines