Flatheads and Channel cats at the same time?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catscratch, Jun 17, 2008.

1. catscratch

catscratch New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Normally when I go fishing I target one or the other. In your guys' opinion, do you think that fishing with liver, stinkbait, etc... in the same place and at the same time hurts your chances at flatheads?

2. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    Im not sure. Some of my big flat heads come on large cut gills. The other night we caught 12 channels and a 19lb and 24lb flathead same hole. biggest flathead was on a 17inch shad live. All other fish cut gills and shad so?????

3. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats a good question... I Honestly dont think it would have an impact either way... I have fished dough baits and livers and live gill all in the same hole on the same night and have caught channels and flats... So I think you will be alright.. And by the way welcome to the BOC Jason... this place is great.. alot of good people and endless things to talk aboout

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't think it would hurt your chances at flatheads, but if there are any good flatheads in the area, then you chances of getting any channels are pretty slim. Those channels won't hang around when someone that will eat them is in the area.

I have been set up for flatheads before and had little blue cats keep messing with my live baits. All of a sudden the blues disappeared and then a few minutes later, I hooked up a nice flathead.

5. catscratch

catscratch New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the "welcome", I've already gotten a lot of good info from this site. As far as this fishing trip goes, the creek is already full and it is raining at the moment (may be out of the banks by Friday, don't know). The temp is suppose to drop and the wind change to the east (never liked an east wind). I think I will fish the mouth of a feeder creek with every type of bait I can come up with and hope for the best.
    Thanks again
    Jason

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont think it would hurt your chances, what might hurt your chances of catching a flat is if you are making alot of noise and shining lights while catching channels.

my best flathead hole I have nver caught a channel out of however.

7. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I have caught both on live bluegills.

8. catscratch

catscratch New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You guys were right about them not biting at the same time. I had action all evening. Started at dark with a pan sized and an 8 pound channel on shrimp. Shortly after the channels stopped biting I hooked a very strong fish on a perch. It was much stronger than the 30 pounder's I've hooked, never even turned it's head. It went on a run, dragging me down the gravel bar with the drag buzzing and the pole bent double then it pulled off. The creek was very quiet for about an hour after that, then I caught another 8 pound channel and missed a couple of other hits. At midnight I caught a couple of carp on the shrimp and dicided to go.
    I had a blast but am very disappointed that I couldn't land the "big one" (I can still feel every stroke of his tail, something I won't forget soon!).
    Thanks for the tips.
    Jason

9. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sounds like a good time.. Congrats on your catches... but sounds like you need to upgrade your pole.. That way the next time you hook into a monster he knows as soon as that hooks set hes on the losing side...