Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Wensday April 16 I went on a guide service trip with my dad At west point lake Ga up chattahoochee river. And the guide was using circle hooks. Octpopus circles 7/0 size. I was curoius as to why he was using them. I had previously thought that kahle hooks were the way to go for flatheads and the fact that there were mixed reviews on circle hooks. Well was proved wrong! I landed two Flatheads that day. One was 7 to 8 pounds and landed a 25 to 26 pound flathead. Maybe the way the guide was fishing (free spool) is way we were able to land them. Here are a couple of pics. This was my first time landing a Flathead a was the best fishing trip i ever had.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks utattoo. Looks like you had a field day yourself with pics on your avatar.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Congratulations John on the nice Flats,and thank you for the post and pictures. J.D.:wink:

·
Registered
127 Posts
always go for circle hooks the bigger the better for flat's. I jug fish a lot and after a few days on location I always bait top hook, # 7 or 9 circle hooks with the biggest live bait I can get. Do not catch many, but when I do they be bigguns.:embarassed: I wish I could get bigger hooks. Keep trying, keep hoping, keep catching.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
nice fish john! it's all downhill from here though!

·
Registered
333 Posts
always go for circle hooks the bigger the better for flat's. I jug fish a lot and after a few days on location I always bait top hook, # 7 or 9 circle hooks with the biggest live bait I can get. Do not catch many, but when I do they be bigguns.:embarassed: I wish I could get bigger hooks. Keep trying, keep hoping, keep catching.
Try Cabelas salt water catalog. I know I have seen 10/0 and 11/0.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. I appreciate that alot.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I bait with live sunfish and use exclusively kahle hooks - from 3/0 to 5/0.

Can't see the need for hooks any bigger, unless I was to go to big suckers or carp or something like that.

Remember, you want the bait to be able to swim around with that hook, not be wieghed down to the bottom.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
i use 7-9/0 oshagnassys. tried circles but missed too many fish.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.