flatheading the rio grand

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by katkiller77, Jan 15, 2008.

1. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    this ohio fella wants to how many of you all get shovelheads out of the rio grand and what is the record there

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    "Large yellow catfish (flatheads) populate the lake and river. In the fall, river holes are favorite flathead destinations, especially at night, and live shad are the bait of choice. Sixty to eighty-pound fish are not unusal",This is a page from lake fork in Zapata, sounds like that is the place to be for flatheads, plus u can run to mexico on the lake as well. Not a bad deal, here's the records!!Rod & ReelSpeciesWeightLengthDateAnglerBait or LureBass, Largemouth15.1224.00May 1, 1991Scotty Deaton Catfish, Blue31.0037.00Jul 23, 2002Jeff Hammer dead shad Catfish, Flathead29.9037.00Sep 23, 2002Jeff Hammer dead shad Bow FishingSpeciesWeightLengthDateAnglerGar, Alligator213.0086.00Apr 21, 2004Jorge Gutierrez Tilapia, Blue3.6016.00Apr 25, 2006Joseph Schipani

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've fished it at several spots through Big Bend National Park. The water looks good, but I didn't catch anything. The park restrictions on bait make it tough for one thing. It has produced some nice fish in the past, and a lot of sections are remote and have almost no fishing pressure. Other sections get a ton of pressure, especially from set lines on the Mexican side.

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/naturescience/fish.htm

4. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i am also wondering anyone fishes the rio grand from falcon res to brownville for flaheads aka yellow cats i never hear rio grand mentioned that much

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i dont think that there are too many ppl fishing there for flats, mostly bass fisherman in the big tournaments, they say that the flats end up in the rio grande in the winter, but couldnt tell u for sure!!!

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    always curious about the river it look like prime waters for cats your way

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    cat fishing is big in texas i know :big_smile: but all that water along the border would make any cat fisherman drool

8. darkthirty

darkthirty New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    bigbend and below . if you can catch the Rio grand when the water is low you can fish it from the bank.most of the time you nead 14' boat and jet motor to fish it. bait is hard to come by. it is loaded with big flatheads,& channelcat.

9. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I live close enough to the river to fish it if I wanted to, but why take the chance? There are many reasons not to fish that river. Why put yourself in harms way when you don't have to? We have lots of good water to fish in Texas that we know is safe to keep fish from. We don't have to worry about running into drug smugglers or getting robbed by staying away from the Rio Grand. Mexico has nothing I want, including their polution. Catfishjon

10. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i see just curious enough said man thanks for the info. thanks guys