Flatheadhunter33 Needs Your Help!

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Catgirl, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi sisters and brothers.....I noticed yesterday afternoon that Dameon (Flatheadhunter33) asked a question on the "What's For Supper?" thread.

He would like to know if anyone has experience cooking a brisket on a gas grill. I don't, so I figured I'd throw this question out and see who can help.

Dameon, I did some research yesterday here on the BOC and couldn't find any info regarding this.....if there is some, perhaps someone will point you in that direction. Hope you don't mind me taking the liberty of starting this thread bro.

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Tanya, I just ran acroos this post. Thank you so much for the help:wink:! I've been toying with idea of doing a brisket but from what I have read, it has to slow cook. Dont quite know how to slow cook on a gas grill:roll_eyes:. Thanks again for posing the question for me over here.

3. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Hawkins;
    Daemon, when my late Mother used to do briskets she kept the hickory smoke going and low heat. She cut slits all over the brisket to help the sauce cook into the meat. Sometimes, she would "cook" as long as 12 hours but most times, depending in the meat, it would run 8 to 10 hours. She had her own special sauce and along with a bag of Kingsford charcoal she also had hickory chips that had been soaking in a water bucket the night before. She kept just enough heat to dry the hickory out and fire up just enough to cause the hickory to ember and smoke without an open flame. She kept the meat bathed in that sauce. When a small spot was absorbed in the meat she put more on that spot and kept doing so until the meat was about ready to fall off the bone and the hickory and BBQ taste was all the way in the meat.
    With a gas grill I think you would have to use a good solid layer of those, I think they are called Lava Rocks and have them just hot enough to singe or slow burn the hickory chips. The water in the chips kept the meat from drying out. Mom tried a gas grill and quote "never liked the dam* thing!, I can't smoke like I want too with those da*ned gas things" unquote! I have to keep it watered down a bit because this IS a family channel! :wink:
    Mom had several offers to sell her recipe for a good sum of money but she never did. She even had a very well to do African/American offer to set her up with her own kitchen/store/Luncheonette business and all she had to do was keep smoking the meat like she did and he would not ask again for the formula of the sauce and he would split the profits with her 50/50 and he would cover all the overhead expenses! Mom almost took the man up on the idea but backed out at the last minute.
    I hope this helps ya some and I hope you been doing good otherwise. If you get the chance send me a PM and give me an update of what has been happening in your life as I've not heard from you in a while. If I can do anything else to help you with this "problem" of yours put that in the PM too and I will do what I can as you know I always do. :big_smile:
    Sincerely and Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i slow cook all kinds of big cuts on a gas grill with great results, loins roasts ect...

i put the meat on one side of the grill. turn the heat on its lowest setting on the oppisite side. no heat directly under the meat. if your wanting a smoked flavor, use pellets or the chips available at the store and soak them in water 30 min and wrap in a couple layers of foil. poke a hole in the foil with a pen and place over the fire. do this 2-3 times after each burn out for the first hour. then slow cook basting with beef broth to keep from getting the out side tough. and after the first two hours you can wrap in foil to to seal in some juice and flavor. or before cooking make a foil pan to hold juice. this will make it moister.

dont add sauce untill after you smoke the cut if you are. i add mine to it about 45-1hr before removing it so the sauce glazes and doesnt cook.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have no experience on a gas grill,Dameon . But I smoke on a gas fired smoker. I slow smoke my meats at 250* for a min. of 4hrs and then wrap in foil and cook at 350 for 2-4 hrs ,checking for doneness till tender. seasoning with generic 'brisket dry rub ' ,I make my own now by the way pm me and I'll send ya the ing recipe . all are availible in large quantity bottles and WAY cheaper that way to make it .

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I mostly use charcoal and mesquite but gas will work good too like others have said. I always put a pan or big tin can of apple juice closed in the grill with the meat. It helps keep it moist without having to open it so often to baste. Good Luck :big_smile:

7. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    FLATHEADHUNTER 33

RECIPE FOR FIXING BRISKET

FRIST THE RUB:

3/4 CUP SWEET PAPRIKA
    1/4 CUP BLACK PEPPER
    1/4 CUP SALT
    1/2 CUP BROWN SUGER
    2 TABLESPOON'S CHILE POWER
    2 TABLESPOON'S GARLIC POWER
    2 TABLESPOON'S ONION POWER
    2 TABLESPOON'S RED PEPPER

PREP BRISKET

THE NIGHT BEFORE RUB IT DOWN REAL GOOD WITH THE RUB AND PLACE IN A BIG PAN , CUT UP TWO ONION'S AND TWO STALKS OF CELERY AND COVER AND LET IT SET OVERNIGHT.

COOKING DEPENDING ON YOUR GRILL IF YOU HAVE A FIRE BOX GRILL COOK ON FOR END 8 TO 10 HRS AT 250 DEGREES AND IF IF YOU HAVE A REG. BBQ PIT THIS WOULD BE YOUR BEST WAY TO COOK IT , PUT IT IN THE OVEN IN A DUTCH OVEN ABOUT 8 HRS AT 225 AND THEN PUT ON THE PIT FOR 1 TO TWO HRS ARE UNTIL DONE AND IF IT IS DONE RIGHT IT IS VERY TENDER

1 HR BEFORE IT'S DONE START BASTING YOUR SUACE ONTO IT

HAPPY EATING AND HOOK'EM HORNS:smile2::smile2: