flathead water temp

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by rcbbracing, Nov 18, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know most people say 50 degrees is pretty much the cutoff to when catching a flathead is really tough BUT is this just for rivers or does it count for lakes too...I fish more lakes for flatties than rivers and still someone pray i get to catch just one more...whats your opinion?

2. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have seen them caught in the dead of winter but it is very very rare. I would say even 50 degrees is pushing it. Try to find a lake to fish with a warm water discharge. They will sit right up by the discharge. THis is the time of year to get one in that location. Good luck. Hope ya catch that one last fish. I am still chasing my big blue for the year. I get some time left for him.

3. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is defidently the problem...There are zero lakes around me that are good flatheading waters. And defidently none of them have a warm water discharge. Anyone have an idea around central ohio where there is a lake with one of these. I have always wanted to fish one but never have had the opportunity. i have been driving two hours each way for good flatheading waters...thanks for the idea though!

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ve seen em caught below 50 already.It,s just too iffy for me ,considering the work and expense you gotta put in.:wink:

5. I ran into another boater last night that pulled 1 flatty out of a local river here, and I'd say the temp is darn close to 50. I will be giving it my best shot all winter to try to get one. I put a lot of time on the water, eventually the odds will favor me , I hope and pray.:smile2: It can be done, I see enough reports out there that shows me it is possible. And last night proved that to me. Look at that fella in ohio that just landed that monster. It was aorund 50 there too I think.:confused2::roll_eyes:

6. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    It can be done I did it today an me an kip last Sunday Did you see his Monster.An all you got to do is put in the time.All you think the Muskium river sucks.I for got Your a king of the lake type of guy.

7. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ill be honest. I fish lakes for one reason and one reason only...i have fished them all my life...only real time ive hit a decent flatheading river is when i hit the muskingum one time with kip. I have never had the opportunity to hit a river and understand what im doing. I dont think the muskingum sucks at all...ive seen some of the hogs that river holds...i would just prefer go a few times with people who know what they are doing so im not waisting my time. And to be honest too i kinda feel bad going back to spot other people were nice enough to show me. I still havent went back to the spot kip showed me in the dresden pool...i feel like a spot poacher even thinking about it...well hopefully i get invited out some this coming year by boc members and get used to the ideas and tactics of river fishing...thanks tho guys...

8. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Understand your side better now We will get togeather nice year.An i can show you acouple things i have picked up on.An ive got afew bank spots to give up .sometimes there there some times not.Maybe you can show me the lake fishing .

9. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    Take it easy buddy, I dont feel there's anything wrong with you fishing a spot that someone showed you when you're not even from that part of the state, and you cpr, and as long as you don't go around telling folk's where it's at on a open forum :cool2::wink:

10. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds good man...dont get me wrong...i havent found a plethera of amazing lake spots but we got one or two that havent gave up a skunking on flatheads yet...only prob is the flats arent real big...The one spot always gives up atleast one flat but nothing over 25lbs....but yeah i certainly hope we can catch up this coming year man...I love the thought of learning to hit a river system. Ide like the stability of a river instead of the uncertainty of a lake. Seems you guys do better on the river systems anyway...

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

If your looking for stability,there,s way more in the lakes.The rivers changing every day.If you can figure out the river,the big fish are there.

12. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I tell ya Ive fished rivers my whole life but untill this year fishing with Sman and Luckey Wade I never thought there was so much to learn. I caught a couple real good fish this year, but without these guys I would still be wandering the banks still catching little flats with the occasional decent fish. I owe alot to my Muskingum river buddies for the good trips on the water this year!

13. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats awesome guys...pretty neat the friendships ya gain on here. I know will, matt, john, and myself have spent quite a few hours together this year on the side of some random lake and i wouldnt of traded it for anything weather we caught fish or not...

14. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I personally think targeting Flatheads in Rivers is much easier than Lakes.

15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

Me too,just gotta learn their routes!:wink:

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dave, flatheads will hang on in the fall longer than most think. Spring, it takes them longer to get going. But, they will hang on even on smaller livebaits late. I have caught them a couple days before Christmas. Also later fishing for saugeyes. You have seen these other guys this year after them late,, that outta tell ya something!:wink: rollo

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i agree, i live 10 mins. from the lake where the state record came from but choose ta fish the river cause it produces more consistant, i find it harder ta locate the flatty's in the lake:confused2:

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Same here.. Lake fishing gives up one or two fish a night around here if you are lucky, And if so, thats a good night!!!! The rivers often give up multiple fish nights! Many more shutouts fishing lakes!! The only difference, in 2007 me and a bud specifically targeted lakes. We averaged a catch average over 26 pounds/ per fish caught on the year! So, flatheads caught from lakes in my opinion seem to be larger for some reason, and you don't have to weed through smaller fish to find a trophy.. You don't seem to catch small flats often lake fishing. Or atleast we don't.:big_smile: we just get shutout! rollo

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  19. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    if you throew a gill or a carp out there and they are around you will catch fish for sure! I fish all year round but then again the coldest the water gets by me is about 45 so i cant talk.

20. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know exactly what you are saying. We fished lakes all year and we generally caught 1 fish a night. Me and will each caught on in the 40lb range and the rest were all 20's...only one thing was consistant, we never caught a flathead under 19lbs...so yes flatheads in lakes seem to be bigger but ide like to hear the reasoning why. Do they not reproduce as productively thus causing less fish but bigger fish? Do the smaller flatheads run a pattern in which they arent consistantly caught in lakes? Are they kept for the dinner table and the reason you dont hear about them is because people mistake them for bullheads? This topic interests me, i wish i knew the answer.