Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m curious how long is everyone waiting in one exact location for that big flathead? Obviously everyone fishes differently. I’m not sure if there’s a right or wrong way because some guys will fish a log jam all night if they get a bite or not others will move every 30 minutes unless they get a bite both produce fish. Thought it would be nice to get a general consensus and see what everyone is doing.
Also are you bank fishing or in a boat where you can move rapidly? Do you use the same method in the river and reservoirs? Do you change things up when it’s spring and the waters up compared to hot summer and the water is low? Just curious what’s everyone doing?

·
Premium Member
12,197 Posts
I give it a minimum of 30 minutes but often stay longer if the spot looks right or I have had good luck there in the past. The truth seems to be that it is just a guessing game. It actually just depends on when the cat decides to go out for a snack and happens to come across your baits. I try to use the Justin Johnston method and put my baits across the path a cat will most likely travel and give it some time.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Locally the best spots for bank fishing flatheads here are a lot of work to get to. The places you can drive right up to are usually fished out. So, I generally settle in and wait for Mr Flattie to go looking for a meal. Once the bite starts, it's usually good for an hour or two. Best times seem to be 1/2 hour before sundown until about 2 hours after sundown. Again at midnight till 2 and then right before sunup until couple hours after. I rarely wait until sunup. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been waiting for years for flatheads in the section of river I fish.
Luckily I get to try again this year.
I’m really surprised there aren’t more flatheads in the area you fish. I know a couple other guys that fish that area too they all say flatheads are extremely rare I don’t understand why.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,550 Posts
I’m really surprised there aren’t more flatheads in the area you fish. I know a couple other guys that fish that area too they all say flatheads are extremely rare I don’t understand why.
Limb lines and trot lines. They don't ever get released back when there on those.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts