Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know they are teritorial, but if you catch a decent flat should you change locations? or can you catch more than 1 from a small area? the rivers i fish have holes that are generally only a 1/4 mile long or less and less than 50 yrds wide in most places if that helps any.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Flatheads may be territorial but if there is an abundant food source they will congragate in the same area.If the spot looks good keep on trying you may be very suprised at the results.

Last year I caught and released 4-5 30 lb flats at least a dozen over 20 and many dinks and very large 10-15 lb channel cats all in the same hole.

Actually my chair was in almost the exact same place everytime but 1 and I casted down to the spot I like :smile2:

There are no set rules for catching flatheads or even how they behave or else it would be as simple as bass or bluegill fishing.

I might tell you I catch all of my flatheads on livebait or very fresh barely dead shad yet others will say they never catch one on shad just sunfish.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I agree also.

Personally, I have never been able to figure out where the old story about them being so teritorial came from? I have caught several fish from the same spot with minutes of each other many times. I haven't gotten multiple big fish in succession, but I think that's just because there are not that many big fish out there.

Is the teritorial bit more about when they are laid up in their snags maybe?

·
Banned
10,335 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but flatheads are the hardest fish to figure out. Someimes they are in the same area and some times there is a lone fish ruling a certain area.

Just when you think you have them figured out, they do something weird and you end up scratching your head,

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but flatheads are the hardest fish to figure out. Someimes they are in the same area and some times there is a lone fish ruling a certain area.

Just when you think you have them figured out, they do something weird and you end up scratching your head,

...Which is exactly what makes them so much fun.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I agree also.

Personally, I have never been able to figure out where the old story about them being so teritorial came from?
Is the teritorial bit more about when they are laid up in their snags maybe?
i have caught the same flat from the same hole, twice one year then once the next year!. he had a huge chunk missing from the upper lip thats how i knew. every time we go to that hole we look for ol bumper nose. lol he should be over 40 this year. thats why i think they are called territorial.

yes you can get many big flats from the same hole, aspecially from smaller shallow rivers!!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
On smaller waterways territory is somewhat of a concern for larger fish, but once get in a larger environment with more of a food source the fish will generally hang out in the same holes. I believe somebody already mentioned spawning as the time when they are most territorial and I'd say I have to agree with that.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Hey thank you for the info flatheads are territorial but you can sometimes catch more than one flathead in a whole, I went with my uncle a couple of years ago flathead fishing, and he pulled in 3 nice flatheads out of one whole, there a fun fish to catch.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
I am not flathead expert, but I have pulled several flatheads from the same set-up.

The theory of "catch a big one and move on" has also made me wonder. Too many good flathead anglers are catching multiple flatties from the same hoel. I guess if you are catching them where they live, and not where they are feeding, you probably should move on.

The fish I catch are in places where the fish are moving through to feed, so I would assume multiple fish use the area.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
If it's a good hole there will be several flats in it...A marginal spot may only have one fish.,,I caught 23 flatheads out of one hole last year that was 30yds wide and about 100 yds long on the river I fish.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
in ohio shovelheads are top of the food chain and very territorial i have seen once fishing a channel catfish during spawn last year. run for its life around 5 pounds or so then this monster flathead chase it off over 15 lbs on the gmr they are very territorial but i have to agree with enough food their could be several in one hole rick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.