flathead territory

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by oklahoma caveman, Apr 22, 2008.

1. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i know they are teritorial, but if you catch a decent flat should you change locations? or can you catch more than 1 from a small area? the rivers i fish have holes that are generally only a 1/4 mile long or less and less than 50 yrds wide in most places if that helps any.

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Flatheads may be territorial but if there is an abundant food source they will congragate in the same area.If the spot looks good keep on trying you may be very suprised at the results.

Last year I caught and released 4-5 30 lb flats at least a dozen over 20 and many dinks and very large 10-15 lb channel cats all in the same hole.

Actually my chair was in almost the exact same place everytime but 1 and I casted down to the spot I like :smile2:

There are no set rules for catching flatheads or even how they behave or else it would be as simple as bass or bluegill fishing.

I might tell you I catch all of my flatheads on livebait or very fresh barely dead shad yet others will say they never catch one on shad just sunfish.

3. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    You`re right about that Jerry you can catch alot of fish fom the same hole.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree also.

Personally, I have never been able to figure out where the old story about them being so teritorial came from? I have caught several fish from the same spot with minutes of each other many times. I haven't gotten multiple big fish in succession, but I think that's just because there are not that many big fish out there.

Is the teritorial bit more about when they are laid up in their snags maybe?

5. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    If you find them and catch one, don't move because they do run together during feeding. I really think the only time they are territoral is when they are spawning.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I don't know about you guys, but flatheads are the hardest fish to figure out. Someimes they are in the same area and some times there is a lone fish ruling a certain area.

Just when you think you have them figured out, they do something weird and you end up scratching your head,

7. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota

...Which is exactly what makes them so much fun.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have caught the same flat from the same hole, twice one year then once the next year!. he had a huge chunk missing from the upper lip thats how i knew. every time we go to that hole we look for ol bumper nose. lol he should be over 40 this year. thats why i think they are called territorial.

yes you can get many big flats from the same hole, aspecially from smaller shallow rivers!!

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    On smaller waterways territory is somewhat of a concern for larger fish, but once get in a larger environment with more of a food source the fish will generally hang out in the same holes. I believe somebody already mentioned spawning as the time when they are most territorial and I'd say I have to agree with that.

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm still learning.....but I know they like live Bluegils! Find the bait and find the fish that eats them.:crazy:

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey thank you for the info flatheads are territorial but you can sometimes catch more than one flathead in a whole, I went with my uncle a couple of years ago flathead fishing, and he pulled in 3 nice flatheads out of one whole, there a fun fish to catch.

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I am not flathead expert, but I have pulled several flatheads from the same set-up.

The theory of "catch a big one and move on" has also made me wonder. Too many good flathead anglers are catching multiple flatties from the same hoel. I guess if you are catching them where they live, and not where they are feeding, you probably should move on.

The fish I catch are in places where the fish are moving through to feed, so I would assume multiple fish use the area.

13. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thanx everybody. im just now getting into fishing for them and need every bit of info i can get.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If it's a good hole there will be several flats in it...A marginal spot may only have one fish.,,I caught 23 flatheads out of one hole last year that was 30yds wide and about 100 yds long on the river I fish.

15. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It is not uncommon to catch several out of a good hole. Like other animals there exist a "leader of the pack" mentality. I believe that there may only be one monster in each hole.

16. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    in ohio shovelheads are top of the food chain and very territorial i have seen once fishing a channel catfish during spawn last year. run for its life around 5 pounds or so then this monster flathead chase it off over 15 lbs on the gmr they are very territorial but i have to agree with enough food their could be several in one hole rick