flathead stocking

Discussion in 'LOCAL MINNESOTA TALK' started by DAREWOOD11, Oct 7, 2008.

1. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    ok heres the situation...my boss built this lake over the last 2 years and we just got done with it...its about half full right now. its gona be 100 acres and a max depth of about 50 feet. i have put 2 20 pounders and a 10 and 2 5 pounders in there so far...im gona personally put 5000 sunfish in there and 50 gallons of fathead minnows. its on an old crick and the crick was full of minnows and bullheads and we drained 2 little ponds into it and the ponds had sunfish and bullheads in them so there should be a decent amount of baitfish in there already. im only gona stock it with channel cats and flatheads so im not concerned about any other kinds of fish. they are gona mostly use it as a lake for skiing and stuff so there wont be much fishing pressure. i need some help...if anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it...im trying to stock a lake with flatheads and im wondering if anyone has any idea of anywhere u can purchase flatheads of any size for stocking purposes. thanks to all

2. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Not sure if its legal but I would just catch some smaller flatties...5-15lbs and put em in there. They should grow pretty fast.

3. gxtmfa

gxtmfa New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I live in northeastern Illinois, near the Des Plaines River, where Flatheads are limited at best. I live near a small, privately owned, neighborhood lake. The home owners' association maintains it. It is only 75 acres, and its deepest points are only 12 feet, with an average depth of 5 feet. The lake is filled to the brim with carp.

We've recently begun researching the option of stocking flathead to control the carp, and improve the local economy by making the lake a unique opportunity to catch these fish in the suburbs.

This is being considered as a last-ditch effort; our lake is probably too small to even support the fish, despite having ample prey.

Please tell me how your lake goes. Though its dimensions are more suitable for stocking and you are responsibly neglecting to stock it with carp, it would still provide
    us with helpful information.

4. gxtmfa

gxtmfa New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My email is gxtmfa@gmail.com.

*Bullhead may prove to be easy to transplant. They are also great bait for large flathead. Crayfish can be easily acclimatized, but make sure they are a native species. Crayfish are a staple in the diet of young flathead. Best of luck to you.

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Check with your Iowa DNR, they can tell ya the regs, and can possibly refer ya to some dealers. They might be able to give some recommendations on how many to stock etc.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive talk to the arkansas game and fish bout flathead stocking and they said they dont do cause its not moneterly fesible.seems the babys start eating each other soon as they loose the egg yolk.remember when stocking to keep you fish close to the same size.them 20s will eat the 5s if they run into them any time but spawning time.

7. dew2

dew2 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Darewood11 Try googleing 2 lakes in Minnesota,Both were stacked with flats for bullhead and carp eradication,Both were failors and the flats dissappeared.The lake names are Dunns and Richardson in meeker county,Mn.
    There lots of articals written by biologists (Ichthyologists) on those 2 lakes.They were stocked in the 80s,I have found the articals years back and there pretty complete and informative.Try to find them! Some great flat stocking data.

8. RpR

RpR New Member

State:
    Minn
    They were not really failures but the dnr decided to stock channel cats instead for bullhead control.
    If you check the fish survey for Richardson, the only lake stocked with flatheads, that once was overrun with small bullheads, they found 2 bullheads in Richardson, and 10 carp.
    Dunns was not stocked, plus it is only 20 ft. vs Richardson being 47 ft. deep and with a disc reading of only 1.5 ft vs Richardson's 5 ft.
    Dunns showed 29 bullheads and 34 carp.
    At the same time Richardson had 19 Walleye and Dunns had 1.

I spoke with a person at the DNR and they said they did not know what really happened with the flatheads but they had never found any young in the netting survey but they also acknowledged the disappearance of the bullheads that has stayed that way for decades.

As an aside, some years later, a flathead was caught by Monticello, Mn in the Mississippi. No flatheads had been caught or ever reported in that part of the Mississippi.
    The only way it could get there, as there are dams between flathead parts of the Mississippi and Monticello, was for the flatheads put in Richardson to swim down the creek that drains out of it into the Crow River and then go from the Crow to the Mississippi section by Monticello.

9. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

very interesting. we would like to hear how this pans out.i know Lake Minnetonka on the west side of the twin cities metro has had flatheads caught from time to time. they are always smallish. in the under 10lbs size. what the rumor is, they are released or escaped from tournament bass fishing. some guys cheat and use them for fishing. they are dynamite. this is very exotic bait. they had made there way in to bait dealers in a very exclusive "under the counter" requested manner. they look allittle like a willow catfish when small and both are so uncommon, no one would know. new laws for both selling and harvesting willow cats has made this practice basically done. no bait harvesters will risk getting caught. thus we have not seen any flatheads caught on Minnetonka for many years now(or who ever was using them, no longer is in the tournie). my guess they all got eaten by the musky. i might also be tempted to think that in a lake they may have trouble breathing and pumping water over their gills, these fish are designed for moving water riverine habits. i know there are some lakes that have them down south. on a side note i have once encountered a monster flatie while scuba diving in the metro. only seen her once. i am hoping to see that one again..... so my 2cents would be that if you could find someone to sell you willow cats. for the price it might be worth the gamble you may get flathead babies instead.

10. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

ohh, i looked around willow cats were around $15 dozzen by request. captive born raised flatties might cost you that much a piece.(comparing price of sturgon and paddlefish babies being captive reared)

11. DEER 24/7

DEER 24/7 New Member

State:
    OKLA
    I don't believe their is any flatheads to buy. They can't be hatch and raised in captivity. I had a biologist tell me one time a man they could raise flatheads in captivity would be a rich man