flathead stocking

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by DAREWOOD11, Oct 7, 2008.

1. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    i need some help...if anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it...im trying to stock a lake with flatheads and im wondering if anyone has any idea of anywhere u can purchase flatheads of any size for stocking purposes. thanks to all

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    How big is the lake? You dont want to over stock due to the fact the flatheads will wipe out any other fish population there. If its very small lake, you should be able to catch them yourself and stock it if state regulations allows you to transfer them.

3. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Fish only nearby to your property on public lands, lakes and rivers. Catch
    only really big specimens of flatheads for a couple of years and release
    them into your lake. Then concentrate on building spawning cover for the
    fish to use. Allow little or no angler pressure on the lake. When you notice
    lots of little flatheads in the weedbeds you can attend to something else.

Ten or twelve flatheads over 30lbs should be sufficient for most small lakes.
    Spawning cover consists of weighted used tires and plastic chem barrels
    with the ends cut out. Place them in shallow areas with a quick drop off
    to holes around 30ft deep such as small flats near the corner of a dam
    face with old limestone rip-rap. They are more effective if surrounded by
    a maze work of cut conifer boughs or christmas trees picked up around
    New Year's Eve. Crappie cover made from discarded PVC pipe lasts longer
    and should be just as effective in making the nests more attractive.

4. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    ok heres the situation...my boss built this lake over the last 2 years and we just got done with it...its about half full right now. its gona be 100 acres and a max depth of about 50 feet. i have put 2 20 pounders and a 10 and 2 5 pounders in there so far...im gona personally put 5000 sunfish in there and 50 gallons of fathead minnows. its on an old crick and the crick was full of minnows and bullheads and we drained 2 little ponds into it and the ponds had sunfish and bullheads in them so there should be a decent amount of baitfish in there already. im only gona stock it with channel cats and flatheads so im not concerned about any other kinds of fish. they are gona mostly use it as a lake for skiing and stuff so there wont be much fishing pressure. thanks all!

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Good luck with the project bro. Sounds like its gonna be a pretty fun place to fish!