Flathead Specific Reels, You can only have one!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Catfishn22, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    If you were limited to one reel only and its sole purpose would be for Big Flatheads what one would it be?

2. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Abu 6500c3 would be my reel of choice for flattie.
    Heres a pic of one of mine.

102_0474.jpg

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Abu Garcia 6500 c3 series.

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    for me it would be the abu garcia 7000c3.:worship:

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Well I just happen to have a pair of them and they are discontinued, but they are to DIE for and they were made by Abu Garcia (Abu Garcia Morrum M7700CL) I have them mounted on Berkley Pro Select E-Cat #4 catfish series Rods.Which happen to be discontinued Also. J.D.:big_smile:

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I agree, the Abu 6500C3 is my choice.

7. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    I figured I'd get alot of Abu 6500C3 answers, what pound/type line do you spool them with?

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 20-25 lb test berkly biggame on my 6500's.

9. Harleycat

Harleycat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    7000ic3 with 40lb big game

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Me too. I love mine and have caught some nice cats with them. I use Big Game 30# Electric Blue on a couple and 30# Mossy Oak on a couple. You can also bump it up to 40# if you want, it'll just hold a little less line but you should still be ok.:wink::big_smile:

11. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    I have a couple Penn 209's I use with 40lb. Big Game. I really like the way my buddys 6500C3 casts but fear it wouldn't hold much 40lb. Big Game and I don't have the jingle to buy a $150.00 7000 but I'd like too! LOL

I wonder how much 30lb. Big Game a 6500 would hold?

12. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    Ok thanks! I was making my last while you were posting! LOL

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a great flathead reel...a Penn 309 level wind 40# big game 300- 400yrds. When that 125#er jumps on my gil...I'll have no problem cranking him on in.:crazy:Or a 500 lb shark:smile2:

14. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've got a 7000 I built with the ceramic bearings for the spool and a stainless bearing for the crank shaft. I also found a metal cog gear (not plastic like the ones made after 1980). It's tough. I'd load it up with 40lb big game. Since then I got a 9000 BG and it holds more line and is tougher. It also throws smoother and farther than the 7000! I think that would have to be my #1 choice if I could only have one ree.

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have 8 reels i use for flats.all of them work good but if i could only pick one it would be my abu 7000 c3.

16. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I have a 209 Penn I bought in 1972 and I've been fishing with it since and I'll just keep fishing with it.That old 209 has not been taken care of right,not cleaned or oiled much and it's been used hard and put wet from fresh and salt water but it still works.

17. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Mine would be the Penn 330, i witnessed a great big ole cat caught on that rod/reel...

But honeslty a 209 would be hard to beat !!!

HAWK :big_smile:

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If I could only have one ,It would have to be a ABU 7000

19. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    The 6500 C3 would be my choice, I use 20-25 pound mono ande or big game.

20. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have 3 Daiwa Millionairre reels that I bought back in 1998 for bass fishing.

They still cast a country mile...and I SWORE I'd never take them to the river because they were so damn expensive. (These reels have NEVER been taken apart...and zero problems in 10 years)

I'd be inclined to pick an Abu 6500 c3 or a 7000 for a flattie reel...had I not had the pleasure of fighting a big fish with a top of the line drag like these Daiwa reels do in fact have.

I have all three mounted on St Croix Premier graphite rods...but here of late I have been slipping one of them into service on the river when flathead fishing...since it is definately the least messy of fishing for the big 3 catfish...and the reel doesn't get caked with bait slime or mud. (Since primarily I flathead fish from an achored boat...with live bait)

I spool it with 65 lb hi vis Power Pro braid line....and mount the reel on a BPS Catt Maxx 7'6" medium heavy e glass rod instead of the high dollar/more brittle graphite rods. (For obvious reasons)

No clicker on the model I have...but I RARELY use a clicker for our flathead here locally.

I hold my rod...and have missed fewer fish as a result. For instance...when you get that first initial short run. I hook that fish more often when I'm holding the rod...and am at the ready to pull back at the proper time.

It may sound like a no brainer...but after 4 or 5 hours...the temptation to set that rod down is much stronger than it was the first leg of the fishing trip.

Some days...that short run is all the chance they plan on givin' ya.