Flathead Spawn Tactics

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Blacky, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Let me know what kind of tactics you use during the spawn when the bigger fish are harder to catch.

I fish tight to cover.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I like to use Bullheads during that time. They work well most of the time but seem to do better then.:wink::big_smile:
    I also like to fish a lot of cover or under cut bank areas.

3. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Last trip out we did manage a 35 # flat and the rest were around five pounds. I don`t really do much different since they don`t all spawn at once you just have to wait them out and suffer a little. Put the effort in and big ones can still be caught.

4. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    Im just startin fishin for big flats recently, so as far as tactics for the spawn I havent a clue. I did manage to land two 40" plus fish within a week Dumb luck I think:confused2:. Where im fishin the current is pretty swift & seems to drop off into about 12-15 feet, not to far from shore, Live gills 5-7 inch, 5oz. of lead 50# spiderwire, bout 100 yds below a lock. All I know its been workin for me. No other fisherman the after dark, once the sun goes down they leave.:wink:

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Here in Oklahoma, during the spawn we stick our hands in their mouths. That's a bait they simply CANNOT resist.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.:smile2:

6. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Good advice and an underutilized fishery in PA. IMHO! unfortunately, this year I haven't been taking my own advice much. I'm still fishing (and hard) for cats despite the spawn. Too interested in those big whiskers to wait....

Jason

7. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I dont do much different. Its like I know every June the fishing gets bad but I still cant keep from trying.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Actually, I don't target any fish during the spawn. They are doing their thing at that time... Crappie finish before bass and cats start, so I crappie fish. Then bass finish before the cats, so I bass fish... then in summer, I get back to cat fishing. Not much difference in fishing during the spawn and noodling... is there? Once disturbed by hook or hand, that years spawn is over with.

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    If I had only known how bad the fishing got during the spawn I would have fished a little harder in May. I'll know better next year.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    There were only 2 days in the month of May I didn't fish. May and September is what I condsider the 2 months to fish hard.

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Not sure about there but here August is the best month for me for BIG Flatties and September is good too but not quite as good. BIG LIVE Bait in August works real well for me!!!:cool2::wink::big_smile:
    May is great also because of the pre-spawn feeding frenzy here also!:wink::big_smile:

12. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I just found out first hand how ugly it can be, 8 hours and no fish, what does a man have to do ????

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I may have just got lucky or just something out but fished under on of the many small dams on the river ans finally got into 3 fish all in the 10 to 15lb range.

14. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    went out last night for about 2 hours found a 20# in some fallen timber.. just got to hit em on the nose.

15. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I always caught nice catfish this time of year from a boat constantly casting and working night crawlers around deap structure. Casting live bait worked for me to.

16. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    This was channel cats though. Never got to catch a flathead. Have no idea were to go.

17. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I like to use slip floats in small creeks with some flow during the spawn. I will let that float run right next to the bank and let out some more line to let it drift farther downstream. There's going to be some flathead held up in a undercut bank along the way for my gill. You can cover a pretty large area and when nothing hits it I'll move the boat and try the next 200 feet or so of shoreline.

18. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    yeah... when will the spawn end?? pretty soon here correct?

19. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The spawn will last for a little while yet and then the heat will shut them down. The big difference about fishing the spawn is that you have to be more active and actually move to the fish. They are there and they will bite. You just have to hit them in the head with what they want.