Flathead spawn appears to be over on LKN

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    The flatheads that I'm currently catching are beat up pretty bad. All of them have had scars on their head and the top of their mid section.

If you can find some white perch, put out some live bait, preferably some live white perch and you will get a bite. I am picking up one to two flats per trip and losing one or two. Most have been in the 12 to 20 pound range.

2. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I always thought I got up early!

If the spawn is over will the bite pick up?

Also, I wanted to introduce myself/say hi. I have passed you on the lake a couple of times. I have a 17 foot Carolina SKiff, I mostly fish north of the 150 bridge.

Another question. have you fished up the river (north of the Buffelo Shoals bridge? I crappie fish up there, it looks as if it would be a good area for flatheads.

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Jeff, I only fish the northern part of the lake in the winter and early spring time. Mostly, I stay below Marker 14 in the late Spring thru Fall season. Yes the flatheads are bitting. I don't target them but my parties manage to get one or two on almost every trip. A nine year old boy got a nine pound flat this morning around 8:45 AM on a white perch head. Next time you see me and I'm by myself, pull up and we will chat. Mac