Flathead slot on Roosevelt Lake

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Marc_g, May 29, 2007.

1. Marc_g

Marc_g New Member

State:
    Arizona
    This message may rub a lot of people the wrong way, but here goes.

I have seen a lot of flatheads pulled out of Roosevelt in the last couple of years and read reports of a lot more. All of us like to go out with a chance of catching a big'un, but it takes a lot of years for one to grow to 40-50 lbs. It won't be long before a 15 pounder will be considered a whopper.

There are a lot of trophy bass lakes like Lake Fork in Texas that have a slot limit designed to weed out the smaller fish and give the survivors a chance to grow to trophy size.

What would you think of trying to designate Roosevelt as a "Trophy Catfish" lake?

Here's how it works: you keep all the fish under say 20 inches (these numbers are just guesses, obviously the fishologists could come up with something better) - then it would be illegal to keep anything between 20 and say 45 inches - after that you can have one over 45 in your possession at any one time.

There would still be plenty to take a great picture of, and release to get even bigger. Eventually Roosevelt would be chock full of 20-30 pound flatties waiting to get their picture taken.

The time has come for Game and Fish to start managing our lakes for catfish and I think this is the obvious first step.

Well, what do you think?

Marc G
    Mesa, AZ

2. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    I think it's a great idea, but how would you ever get that into the regulations?

3. marauder651

marauder651 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Personally I think it's a great idea. I hate seeing people taking out big Flatheads but it's legal and if they have a license it's their right. I don't think it will ever happen however G&F doesn't seem to care to manage cats at all.

4. steve jurich

steve jurich New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hi MARC i think that is a good idea but i think a lot of catmen release the flat heads , I do I usually keep the chanels for eating . That is what i did when i lived back in the midwest great fising back there.But i think you have a good idea.from steve jurich (lungercat)

5. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Makes me sick when I watch the guy next to me pull up his stringer with three fish over 30lbs, I think that trophy management is a great idea, they already do it for the bass. Don't know if this is something the AZGFD would go for though, they seem to err on the side of Flatheads being an invasive species.

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    It is amazing to see the number of people fishing for flathead these days.. Even just within the past few years, the number of flathead anglers have multiplied...

** A slot is an excellent idea... Our flatheads need to be protected. People are too careless and will kill a flathead just for a picture of it hanging from a tree in their backyard.

I CPR ALL MY FLATTYS EXCEPT THE OCCATIONAL SMALLER ONES... I HOPE AND EXPECT OTHERS TO DO THE SAME...

* Good post, I support it!

7. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    GREAT IDEA. now we just need some one to present it to AZFG. Anyone up to start a petition?

8. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    I think more of us need to be more vocal when we see it happen. The worst part is when you guys taking home 3 30# +, more than likely a lot of it will be wasted. I've been outspoken in a nice way when I see it and most people are pretty responsive. I think that's are only bet. Spread the Word

Micah

9. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    do i like the possiblility of a slot? kinda...back in the early 80's they put a slot on northern pike on a certain lake in north dakota becasue it use to have trophy pike in it (25 lbers) but now all it had were smaller ones up to 8-10 lbs. so they put a slot in it with only one big fish in possession. well, it wasnt long and all of a sudden there were tons of 14-17 lb fish without any of them getting bigger. a lake can only support so many lbs of fish per acre and thats the bottom line. so now if you have a lot of larger fish, you have less fish as well. instead of a slot, i think it would be easier to regulate and get approved a deal about... having only one big fish in possession...say 30 lbs or more but in inches

i personally like to keep 12-20 lbers to eat. the thing about flatheads is they arent mature enough to spawn until about 8 lbs. a channel cat can spawn at 1 1/2 lbs. and per lb of fish, channel cat is almost 100,000 eggs. for flatheads its 1000 eggs per pound of fish. just a tid bit of info

the thing is....MONEY, its all about money... the bass have money backing them. look at the possession limit, 5 bass versus 25 cats. theres a reason behind it.

Bass has money comin in from everywhere, from lures to boats. catfisherman have just started to inch in on the market with designed rods/reels to user friendly boats. otherwise for years we had to make to with saltwater gear and rig our boats the best we could for what we fish for. how many bass tourneys are there a year, wait a month, wait.. a week.... three or more? how many catfish tourneys a year? huh? yep, thats what i though....none ... unless its between friends

you will not get a slot limit for catfish in arizona. the one of a few places i know of a slot for cats is the red river that runs along north dakota/minnesota for channel cats. one channel cat a year over 30 inches.... but then again, its easier to catch a 20 lb cat there than a 5 lber. maybe there are other places....i just dont know of them

i dont mind guys takin one biggen home if its there first one, but take only one..release the rest of the big boys.

10. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Personally, I never keep anything more than enough for 1 good fish fry. That'd be 2 or 3 to 2-4 pounders or one 6-8 pounder. Anything bigger than that, I've always released (after a few good photos). No point in killing them if I'm not going eat them. I'm not Az Game & Fish, but I'll bet there's way too much fishing pressure out there to sustain a constant kill of the really big ones.

11. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida

12. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i totally agree....something needs to be done

13. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    I agree something needs to be done before all the big flathead are history. The decline in large flathead started years ago Bartlett Lake is a prime example. Back in the 80's and early 90's 50+ lb. flatheads were caught regulary along with 15-20 lb. channels. The Verde river below Horseshoe Lake has been pretty much fished out for years. With the growing population and the increase in people fishing flathead our reservoirs can't handle the pressure. I do think the majority of catfishermen keep any and all fish caught and thats there right. But it's also going to hurt your chance to catch a trophy size fish. The AZGFD doesn't put a lot of thought into catfish regs. there more concerned with bass and trout regs. $$$$$. I think it needs to brought to there attention that maybe something needs to done to protect the larger flathead. Maybe allowing only 1 flathead in possession over a certain lenght. STATE WIDE.....