Flathead sizes and ages

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jason berry, Sep 21, 2007.

1. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I was watching a movie the other day with flathead guide Denny Halgren on catching flatheads. They caught around a 35-40 pound flathead and was talking about the age being around 30-40 years old. I was wondering if anybody knew a good site with these big fishes ages compared to their weight or if you had some personal knowledge on it your self. I was just wondering how old say a 60 pound flathead would be. My guess would be over 50 years. I thought this might inform people of how old these big butes are and the reason I release all big cats.

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    This is the information i found about flatheads age and growth. But i'm sure it would vary depending on availability of food in a particular body of water.

Flatheads grow fast, adding weight quicker than any other North American gamefish with the possible exception of common grass carp. The fastest growth spurt typically occurs between ages 3 and 8 years, when they commomly add 2 to 5 pounds per year. Even big flats grow fast,however, with tag returns indicating increases of more than 10 lbs. annually in some cases. In some southern rivers and reservoirs, flatheads have reached 30 lbs. in less than 10 years. They are known to live up to 20 years.

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I went to texas am site on fisheries and they say about 25 years on a cat and it is toast. But I still wonder on one that weighs like a 100 pounds!! Some member of this brotherhood has surely went to some site. Good thread Jason!!

4. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    My buddy is good friends with Denny and goes fishing with him a couple of times a year on the Rock.

Back on topic-I think it all depends on the body of water the fish is in. I would guess a 40lber on the Fox river is older than a 40lber on the Rock. Environment, weather, and food all contribute to how fast a Flat will grow.

To help understand Flatheads, we are trying to get something going on the Fox by next year. Our main goals are to collect data on the Flats caught(size,weight,location,time,temp,date) and tag them. We are also trying to put some sort of slot or reg on these cats.

5. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I was reading an article the other day on blue cats. And it said that in the late 1800's blues were caught in a river , I can't remember which one, estimated at over 350 lbs thats not a misprint 350 lbs how old would one like that have to be? Are there any left, I want to see a pic of one.

6. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
  7. noodlin Will

noodlin Will New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I think something should also be said about the genetics of the fish. Have you ever seen a 15 year old kid that is 6-4 250lbs I have I was only 5-2 110lbs at that age. The same thing should be true in catfish Big fish just have good genes in my opinion not a really long life span.

8. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    id like to participate in a flathead study sometime because I really enjoy catching them and letting them go. they fight harder then any other catfish pound for pound in my opinion. Probably because of that huge flat tail. Thanks for the info.

9. dkhonda

dkhonda New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I've caught flats that can be the same length as another I've caught but with a wider head and of course weighed more. I wonder what causes such a difference. Must be genetics again.

10. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois

I`ll definitely let you know. Were still trying to figure out some things, so hopefully we can get the ball rolling by the beginning of next year.

11. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Fish up here in MN have about 6mo a year to feed and the rest of the time they are in their wintering holes, so with that short of a growing season a 40lber up here might be quite a bit older than one down south. I think in any body of water genetics play a huge part in how fast and how big a flattie can grow. Which makes catching and releasing those big ones so important! Keep those big fish genes alive! Practice CPR!